Well got the "supposed" GTE apart, someone killed this thing...

steveaw11

Feb 18, 2009
georgia
(I own an 87 turbo so this isn't a NA-->turbo only thread)

Well long story short This motor was a package deal with the Supra I bought from my best friend, this motor was "supposed" to be a JDM GTE as per the person who sold it to my friend.

Well..... Its not. (pics below)

It was a GE motor that someone put GTE pistons in, now im no 7M expert, but the way the #1 rod bent looks as if the guy didnt even put in GTE rods (if they are even different, I would think so given how Toyota did the 4A series of motors). Are these GTE rods?

The crank is ruined, Journal 1 is sooo dark its not funny, Journals # 3, 4, 5 All had bearings in about 4 pieces and chewed up. But on the bright side all the main journals and bearings looked good, so no line boring needed.

But need some advice:

1: There was some very slight rust in Cyl # 1 I havent honed it yet to see how bad it is, but whats a rule of thumb about cyl wall rust and overboring? I was planning if it was bad getting .040 over pistons.

2. Cyl # 1 at the very bottom the bent rod aparently chipped a dime size piece out of the cyl wall, but like I said at the very bottom not more than a half inch up from the bottom of the cyl wall. Will this be okay, The piston rings dont go down that far do they?

3. (NA-> turbo type question here) This motor doesnt have piston oil squirters how bad is this, this motor may only see minor mods such as intake, DP, and exhaust, maybe 10lbs boost, just to appease me till I build this other motor (known GTE block) with forged bits.

4. I have some pics below, Where does the NA knock sensor go, and where is the supposed spot for the 2nd supposed to be tapped at? My machinist may know, but hey im curious too.

5. Does this block have a oil & water supply for the turbo? Ive saw a NA--> turbo oil line kit. What about the water supply does this block have a spot for that?

Okay so as of now, unless my machinist says the block cant be bored due to cyl wall pitting, Im going to have this block done. Not terribly expensive but enough to feel comfy and get the car going again.
Parts include:

(bottom end)
GTE rods
oversized NPR pistons (wanting .20 over to be safe, but may need .40)
OEM bearings
a Good STD crankshaft
OEM oil pump
OEM timing belt And a Koyo tensioner
(other bits I cant think of now)
Cometic MHG
Cometic gasket kit
(plus a few more gaskets from dealership)

Machinist will do a head job to to get it all nice for me, along with Machining the block and head for a MHG

Driftmotion rebuilt CT26, probably a small trim one, I dont need anything large for now.

That should get me going, Im just going to swap all the other bits from my GTE motor (which is currently in the car) on to this one.

And pics for reference:

my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

steveaw11

Feb 18, 2009
georgia
Supracentral;1321715 said:
What gives you the impression that that isn't a 7M-GTE?

(Hint: It is a 7M-GTE)

What IJ said above, No oil squirters. (didnt take a pic of that bit of block)
Unless JDM GTE's do not have the squirters, which would seem odd.

steveaw11

Feb 18, 2009
georgia
IJ.;1321718 said:
Some really early 87's had no squirters Steve.

Now that I didnt know, Thanks IJ.

Its possible it could be an early, anything else visual on the block for me to determine if its a gte? This was a bare longblock, so really nothing extra was attached to it for me to really say for sure it was.

steveaw11

Feb 18, 2009
georgia
Ahh just read your edit.. so thats what those 3 are on the upper driver side of block, nice. Your saying the early GE blocks have the 2 spots for the gte KS config as well as the standard GE KS config?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Just checked my 93 block and all the KS holes are Drilled/Tapped, from memory on NA's only 1 was? (I don't have my old NA block here anymore to check)

Correction found a really old pic and yep only the middle boss was Drilled/Tapped so check the 2 end ones and see if they look "hand done" .

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
AFAIK GE and GTE rods are the same. I would imagine the engine probably BHG'd in #1, hydrolocked and bent the rod.... my uneducated guess ;)

steveaw11

Feb 18, 2009
georgia
Doward;1321727 said:
Oil drain isn't a dead giveaway?

I suppose thats what that is below the filter area?
And to the left of the filter area it looks like maybe the Water outlet to turbo BUT that one had a flat block off plate on it. So I again assumed it was a GE along with the no squirters deal.

I have not tore into the Supra engine bay yet or I could very well have just looked at it and maybe determined what this block was, but since the Supra is in storage while my father moves, this block is all I have to go off of till he is in a new house and shop.

steveaw11

Feb 18, 2009
georgia
IJ.;1321744 said:
Confirmed rods are same same.

If you could snap a macro pic of where the drain enters the underside of the block in the main web that's usually a giveaway to a convert.

Well block is bare and bagged now at my fathers in his shed, awaiting me to take it to the machinist.

But if you could give me an idea of where to look and what Im looking for, next weekend when I go get it out I will check it all out.

BTW this motor also had a drain back on the oil pan, that should be for the turbo drain yes? Or is that where the cooler dumps back in like my MR2.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
steveaw11;1321748 said:
Well block is bare and bagged now at my fathers in his shed, awaiting me to take it to the machinist.

But if you could give me an idea of where to look and what Im looking for, next weekend when I go get it out I will check it all out.

BTW this motor also had a drain back on the oil pan, that should be for the turbo drain yes? Or is that where the cooler dumps back in like my MR2.

drain.jpg

steveaw11

Feb 18, 2009
georgia
Yeah okay its definately an early block then, I guess it is a GTE then given everything else then.

And I get the block ribs, just like in 87 the 4A series got a 7 rib and beefier block versus the 84-86 5 rib 4a.

interesting how it doesnt have squirters though, I would have thought it to be standard.