weird sound with video!!

peste noire

Jan 11, 2012
los angeles,CA
so after driving yesterday i noticed that i was getting a wierd sound and suddenly it got louder.

today i tried to check what is, so i open the hood and rev it but i can hardly hear it when i put load on it and hit boost , there it is. lifted the car to see if i can see anithing tranny looked to have a little oil under but my valve covers do leak alittle so i think it might of just gone down to the tranny. maybe the turbo? maybe the boost controller affecting the wastegate??

heres video 1 from the top http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8gCdGJL_d4

and heres video number 2 from the shifter http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YuCP--tvtw

any help is appreciated.

Last edited:

bioskyline

Oct 21, 2010
powell river bc
holy shit is all i gotta say......that is nasty. how is the turbo? check for shaftplay, almost sounds like its toast and rubbing on the housing.

peste noire

Jan 11, 2012
los angeles,CA
well i recently got the turbo from another shell i had and it had play, not bad but it had it and since then i hap put about 500 miles since then so idk if can get messed up that quick...

yoy think its turbo related (hopefully)and not motor internals??

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
Definitely something related to or around the turbo. As others have already said, check for leaks and excessive shaft play.

peste noire

Jan 11, 2012
los angeles,CA
so i checked the turbo for shaft play and it feels as the same i amount as it had when i put it on( light/medium play) also checked the turbo so see if it was loose but couldnt see anything. mainfold and turbo where on there tight.

you guys dont think this noise could be clutch related?? cause i reused arp bolts for the flywheel and stock bolts for the pressure plate with no lock tight( didnt know about this when i was putting tranny on) and clutch was used from but clutch disk and pp did not come from the same car(had too many mixed parts so i didnt know which ones they mated to.

Greyscorpion

Feb 5, 2011
Washington
it only makes the noise when you are making boost or under light load im thinking turbo as well. when you check the turbo you shouldnt be able to move the shaft much at all in and out and side to side. You have to remember that the turbo is spinning at very high rpms and needs very high tolerances it dont take much movement to cause damage.

bioskyline

Oct 21, 2010
powell river bc
if it was clutch related i would assume you would feel it everytime you pressed the pedal.

when you replaced the turbo, did you reuse the exaust housing gaskets? also you might want to check the bolts like poodles says that they are tight, now that its had a few heat cycles.

peste noire

Jan 11, 2012
los angeles,CA
so im ruling out the fact that it can be clutch related...

yea i did. i used the one i had but it was in good condition. i will try to lit the rear tires and have some one make the wheels turn(safely) so i can try to pin point where the noise is coming from.

peste noire

Jan 11, 2012
los angeles,CA
no not yet. havent driving it much but thinking it might be exhaust or boost leak cause after changing the turbo(moved several stuff) the noise came in at like 5 psi and so on,compared to before where it would do it as soon as i would hit 0 or 1 psi. goona do a boost leak later.

vpr131

Feb 9, 2012
Orlando, FL
I just found out why mine was making the same noise as yours. As poodles was saying, check the 4 bolts where the manifold connects to the turbo. the top 2 are easy to get to and are easy to see and reach, but the bottom two are not. Check those and see if they are tight. Even being just a little loose will cause that noise.