weird noise past 4500 rpm's

mkiii 4 life

Apr 25, 2008
South Florida
My car is making a weird screetching type of high pitch noise past 4500 rpms. Im not sure what it is. I just got a new mbc and now im at 9 psi and it is making this noise only while boosting. Any ideas? My mods are: intake, full 3" exhaust, joe p mbc at 9 psi, and bosch bpv. Any ideas would be helpful.

mkiii 4 life

Apr 25, 2008
South Florida
i have not checked for boost leaks. The turbo had some side to side shaft play last time i checked. I will check again soon. Car also blows some black smoke at WOT

ben1984j

Jan 18, 2009
Ft. Collins, CO
My last car (MR2 turbo) did this exact same thing - a weird screeching sound that only happened on boost. Turned out to be a leak in the exhaust manifold. So +1 on checking for boost leaks. They can cause black smoke too, or so I've read on here.

mkiii 4 life

Apr 25, 2008
South Florida
thenks for the help guys. This weekend i will spend some time searching for the problem. The only obvious place i could think of a leak is the on the accordion hose where it connects to the turbo the clamp is bad and i can't tighten it all the way. The first thing i will do is replace that when i check the shaft play.

mkiii 4 life

Apr 25, 2008
South Florida
I looked over the car today and i think their is a little more shaft play than their was last time i checked. Should their be any shaft play? I also checked the exhaust manifold, ic pipes, and made sure the downpipe was tight on the turbo. Their were a few loose nuts on the exhaust manifold but now they are all tight and it is still making the same noise :nono:. So im guessing its my turbo?

bozosoku

Jan 29, 2006
CT
I had a similar whistling sound during transition from vacuum to boost, turned out to be a loose spring in the BOV caused the valve to flutter at certain speed. A new BOV solved the problem.

ft413

learner
Sep 23, 2008
EL
did you recirculate your new blow off valve? im assuming that you have new one because you said you took the stock one off.

mk3tattoos

Apr 12, 2008
Bremerton, Wa
i had the same problem, it turned out to be a bad manifold to turbo gasket, once the bolts back out the damage is done. You can not just tighten it up, you need to replace it.

it might be a good idea to get new studs in there as well.

mkiii 4 life

Apr 25, 2008
South Florida
mk3tattoos;1415301 said:
i had the same problem, it turned out to be a bad manifold to turbo gasket, once the bolts back out the damage is done. You can not just tighten it up, you need to replace it.

it might be a good idea to get new studs in there as well.

thanks for the help. The bolts werent too loose. I turned the wrench less than 1 full 360 degree turn on each bolt. You think the gasket would be bad?

Last edited:

mkiii 4 life

Apr 25, 2008
South Florida
Would the car be running bad if it was the turbo? I noticed these holes in the manifold the other day when i was looking over the car. Could this be the problem?
p1416859_1.jpg

p1416859_2.jpg

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
Checked all the bolts on the manifold and turbo? My supra made that noise, had some loose bolts, so I tightened them but it was too late, blew the gasket out between the turbo and manifold.

I bet that's what it is.

mkiii 4 life

Apr 25, 2008
South Florida
supra90turbo;1417358 said:
Checked all the bolts on the manifold and turbo? My supra made that noise, had some loose bolts, so I tightened them but it was too late, blew the gasket out between the turbo and manifold.

I bet that's what it is.

I am starting to think its the gaskets. The nuts on the manifold where it connects to the head have come loose multiple times