weird noise near driveplate/torque converter on my 7mgte + a340e

Rollus

Jun 2, 2011
Paris, France
Hello all!

Since my rebuild, I have a weird noise located close to the driveplate and torque converter.
My speedometer cable is broken, so the ECT show a fault (speed sensor). Shifting from 1->O/D is fine. O/D switching ON/OFF is fine (so I think ECT and solenoid are OK)

This noise is synced with the engine rpm, and seems to disappear when cruising or accelerating after shifting to 2nd+.

Here is a short clip where we can heard it at idle:
[video=youtube;5yPQCLu0lcw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yPQCLu0lcw[/video]

I have also a very weird noise when down shift from O/D to 3 or from 3 to 2. I can't record it (a little dangerous while driving). It's like a metal sliping noise, which stop if I pull throttle back...

This noise wasn't here before engine rebuild.

If you have any idea to point me in the good way, it would be very pleasant ;)

++

RolluS

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
IS the torque converter filled with fluid?

Flex plate bolts tight and torqued?

Torque converter bolts tight?

Rollus

Jun 2, 2011
Paris, France
Thanks for your answears guys.

hvyman;1724102 said:
IS the torque converter filled with fluid?

Flex plate bolts tight and torqued?

Torque converter bolts tight?

Torque converter was not full filled. How can you fill it? I've fought it would be filled by hydraulic pressure isn't it?

Everything is tight.
Flex plate is torqued @110nm, I've read 74nm in TSRM, But my mechanic read a 30 pass torquing from 74nm to 110.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Spec in tsrm is fine.

Have you checked the fluid in the trans with the engine running?
The torque converter should fill up when the engine is moving and the trans pump is going.

Rollus

Jun 2, 2011
Paris, France
If spec in TSRM is fine, so the driveplate is "overtorqued".

With engine running, there was to much fluid in the trans at the first start, just because torque converter was half filled and we fill the trans with TSRM empty level (so it has been over filled. Fluid has been drained to a normal level then.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Have you check it recently?

And yes if you torqued them higher then spec there over torqued.

Something you or the mechanic did is off or a part is broken or a bolt is backing out.

Rollus

Jun 2, 2011
Paris, France
hvyman;1724354 said:
Have you check it recently?

When hot at idle, level is between hot min and max.

IJ.;1724356 said:
Did you install the Flexplate spacers in the correct order?

Quite common for these engines to tear the centre out of the plate around the Crank bolts.

hvyman;1724354 said:
And yes if you torqued them higher then spec there over torqued.

Something you or the mechanic did is off or a part is broken or a bolt is backing out.

When bolting on driveplate bolts, one has been broken and should have been replaced by the mechanic with a brand new one (there weren't 6 in stock at toyota shop)

To many things are unknown for me, I can just relie on what the mechanic's told me because he has worked alone on this assembly (I was @ work).

I'm affraid that I will have to disassemble these parts to check myself!

Do you think that the lack of speed signal may cause my issues? If not, it's mechanical and not electrical, and I'll have to disassemble :( I leave in a building and my car is in an underground parking, it won't be easy...

Rollus

Jun 2, 2011
Paris, France
After 100km, the worst slipping noise tend to disappear, and click noise become worse.

I had to refill the transmission, and it seems to run smoother and more quiet.

I think torque converter needs some kickdown downshift to be fine filled, and it consume oil level..

metaphysico

Mad Scientist
Jan 2, 2008
Gainesville, Georgia
Take the inspection cover off and see if there is any play between the flex plate and tq converter, and between flex plate and crank. Seems pretty loud so you might be able to feel the play.