Weird idle

Clint

AzSupras
Apr 4, 2005
Mesa, Arizona, United States
Hey guys I finished my supra over the weekend and drove her around and she over heated but it wasn’t bad and I have since fixed the heating issue, now she idles rough with a miss, I changed out the plugs and I still have the rough idle and a miss.

I believe I may have a vacuum leak now would that cause the rough idle?

I inspected the coils and I didn’t see any cracks so I am wondering what would cause a miss at idle.

Does anybody have any idea on what could be the problem, I was thinking bhg but I doubt that’s the problem.

I will try to get video of the car later today.

Bigzavs

86.5 1JZ Single Turbo
Apr 21, 2005
Arlington, TX
friend of mine had a rough idle, turned out it was a vacuum leak going to the map sensor, might wanna check that area

Clint

AzSupras
Apr 4, 2005
yup this is a 1jz I haven’t cleaned my cps connectors yet and I have my plugs gaped at .30 and they are the NGK BKR7E.

The car also breaks up when Im boosting and it almost feels like fuel cut from 1st to 2nd @ WOT I am running mkiv 440's and stock 1jz map and Im on wastegate spring and its set a 0.5 bar 7psi IIRC.

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Zerocool said:
Yeah the clips are broke they just slip on and off, but they don’t seem to go anywhere they stay on the coil pretty tight.
No, trust me, that's NOT a good signal to your ignitors.

Get 6 new clips form the dealership. 2JZs have a revised clip, they're like $50 for 6 at the dealership. They will make a world of difference. Trust me, I've been through this before. You're getting a weaker spark because of it.

Clint

AzSupras
Apr 4, 2005
annoyingrob said:
No, trust me, that's NOT a good signal to your ignitors.

Get 6 new clips form the dealership. 2JZs have a revised clip, they're like $50 for 6 at the dealership. They will make a world of difference. Trust me, I've been through this before. You're getting a weaker spark because of it.

Huh, interesting ill give that a shot...

The Reaper

Single, and lovin' it!!
Jan 10, 2006
Florida
all my clips are busted too

like the the actual little clip that clips over the tooth thing to hold it there. mine are still a BIOTCH to pull off so i'd say they are pretty snug.

my car was missing bad under boost only but it just stopped one day for no reason. odd

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
The Reaper said:
my car was missing bad under boost only but it just stopped one day for no reason. odd
I brought it up because my car suddenly developed an intermittent miss after I changed plugs. After a lot of trouble shooting, I guessed that it may have something to do with a cracked coil clip. I bought a new set, and the car drove smoother then it had ever done before.

The Reaper

Single, and lovin' it!!
Jan 10, 2006
Florida
annoyingrob said:
I brought it up because my car suddenly developed an intermittent miss after I changed plugs. After a lot of trouble shooting, I guessed that it may have something to do with a cracked coil clip. I bought a new set, and the car drove smoother then it had ever done before.

interesting and they are 50 for all 6?

Clint

AzSupras
Apr 4, 2005
Well last Last night I found out why my car was acting up and come to find out one of my connectors to the ecu is lose, I had the car idling perfect last night tell I moved the ecu so now I half to pull the pins out find the bad one and re-pin it. Yay I hate electrical shit oh well at least I found the problem :).