Weird code

A-model_

Jun 7, 2006
TX
So acouple of months ago I had complete TPS failure, it was binding and it didnt read out with a multimeter. I went to junk yard , got another sensor and adjusted it as per TSRM, installed it and nothing. I tried to pull codes but the check engine light just blinks with out stopping:1zhelp: or even pausing for a second. There is another problem, there is a gushing like sound comming from the fuel pressure regulator. Could some thing be wrong with the fuel pump? It does this when the key is turned to the acc. Also when I disconnect the fuel relay by the passenger side strut tower it stop making that noise. I'll have to read further into the TSRM, has anybody experienced this problem before?

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
How about some paragraphs in the future?

If the MIL flashes continuously there are no error codes stored.

You shouldn't hear fuel moving if the car isn't running. There's a switch in the AFM which prevents the fuel pump from getting power if the vane hasn't moved a small degree. Would there happen to be a piece of wire jumping two contacts in the diagnostic box (FP and +B) or has the pump been rewired?

Anyway, what's wrong with the car? I mean aside from the fact that it's a Supra with NO error codes stored.... weird.

Seriously though. Aside from the pump is the car not running well or is MKIII ownership just making you paranoid?

A-model_

Jun 7, 2006
TX
I just re-read what I wrote and its nonsense for the fuel problem part. Upon reading the diagnostic codes there is no malfunction the ECU sees. I replaced a faulty TPS and a corroded fuel line. Also the car won't start, it cranks though. The pump does have me paranoid. Its noticeably loud inside the engine bay and it remains on, is this normal operation of the fuel pump system?

A-model_

Jun 7, 2006
TX
CRE even before I did the fp to +B I can hear fuel moving. When I do the jump it just sounds higher in frequency.

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
A-model_;1048442 said:
I just re-read what I wrote and its nonsense...

Not nonsense, just hard to read. Of course your response isn't much better.

A-model_;1048442 said:
The pump does have me paranoid. Its noticeably loud inside the engine bay and it remains on, is this normal operation of the fuel pump system?

CRE;1048424 said:
You shouldn't hear fuel moving if the car isn't running. There's a switch in the AFM which prevents the fuel pump from getting power if the vane hasn't moved a small degree. Would there happen to be a piece of wire jumping two contacts in the diagnostic box (FP and +B) or has the pump been rewired?

You're just hearing the fuel moving through the piping in the engine bay, not something else?

If it cranks but doesn't start you're either not getting fuel or you're not getting spark. Finding out which is easy... finding out why can be tricky.

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
A-model_;1048449 said:
CRE even before I did the fp to +B I can hear fuel moving. When I do the jump it just sounds higher in frequency.

The jump in frequency may just be because the jumper bypasses the fuel pump resistor pack and relay... so it goes full power. Nothing to that.

Check the VAF harness for any wiring that's not stock. If the pump is coming on when the car isn't running the pump has been rewired.

A-model_

Jun 7, 2006
TX
The car is stock, nothing modified and the sound is coming from the fuel rail.
I know the coil is good. I might have to look into the afm and distributor/wires/timing tomorrow.Thank you for your help.

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
A-model_;1048458 said:
The car is stock, nothing modified and the sound is coming from the fuel rail.
I know the coil is good. I might have to look into the afm and distributor/wires/timing tomorrow.Thank you for your help.

The FC line from the VAF (AFM) harness is may be shorting to ground somewhere or there may be a problem with the "Circuit Opening Relay". FC is the ground path for the relay's coil.

I think those are the most likely suspects for the fuel pump constantly running.

This may help:
http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TEWD/MK3/manual.aspx?S=Main&P=54

Let us know what you find tomorrow.

A-model_

Jun 7, 2006
TX
CRE , I tested FC and E1 in the AFM and they have continuity , according to the TSRM it should be infinite which means they should be open , right?

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
A-model_;1049275 said:
CRE , I tested FC and E1 in the AFM and they have continuity , according to the TSRM it should be infinite which means they should be open , right?
I think that is what infinite means, open.