Water proofing a Cold Air Intake

Jay C

Sep 30, 2010
Omaha, NE
Hey everyone i was just wondering what if anything you have done to water proof your cold air intakes. I have the Weapon R system and the intake is basically right under the passenger headlight. I was thinking of getting the AEM air Bypass valve but it states on there website that it is NOT for use on forced induction vehicles (http://www.aemintakes.com/air_bypass_valve.htm). Would a simple filter cover work or should i not worry about it?

sddriver

Jun 1, 2008
SoCal,
There really is no way to water proof a CAI. Your best bet is to go back to a short ram or stock intake during heavy downpours. If you must drive with the CAI, just avoid areas with lots of standing water.

Canuckrz

Jan 13, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
That valve was the first thing that came to mind. I wonder why it says not to be used with forced induction, unless its some kind of HURPY DURPY don't use it on the intercooler piping.

Canuckrz

Jan 13, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
One thing I was pondering was putting a smallish hose (1" or 3/4") somewhere on the intake piping and routing it somewhere else that still gets cold air but no water. That way I figure if the main intake gets a gush of water and tries to suck up the water it would draw air through the secondary smaller hose and not have enough suction power as a result to pull all the water into the engine. Was just something I was pondering in theory.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Canuckrz;1838595 said:
One thing I was pondering was putting a smallish hose (1" or 3/4") somewhere on the intake piping and routing it somewhere else that still gets cold air but no water. That way I figure if the main intake gets a gush of water and tries to suck up the water it would draw air through the secondary smaller hose and not have enough suction power as a result to pull all the water into the engine. Was just something I was pondering in theory.

Basicly what the AEM bypass filter does. Forgot to mention the bypass filter has to be in the engine bay, as it will open and suck in through that instead of the main filter if the pressure is high enough.

Backlash2032;1838752 said:
An oil soaked filter? Wouldn't that ruin the AFM if you were turbo?

Yes, but as it's a cold air filter, it's farther from the AFM so shouldn't affect the AFM as much (also most people put way too much oil on them, but that's another story). Personally I'd use the filter wrap.

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
I just bought one of the filter wraps for the CAI I put on the Celica, they're pretty amazing. You can put it under a wide open faucet and the filter was fine. It's got the same sort of technology as those fancy dress shirts that you can basically pour water on to and not get wet, all inspired by a plant :icon_razz http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFHcSrNRU5E

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Personally, I'd use some sort of heat shield, and run an open element filter inside a custom "box" in the stock location, maybe use tubing of some sort to route the air in... not sure there is room though, due to the headlight.

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
te72;1838884 said:
Personally, I'd use some sort of heat shield, and run an open element filter inside a custom "box" in the stock location, maybe use tubing of some sort to route the air in... not sure there is room though, due to the headlight.

That's what I did, but I have all sort of junk missing from that front corner so I had plenty of room. I still get water on it from around the edges of the hood though, but I don't think much makes it into the filter.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
destrux;1838941 said:
That's what I did, but I have all sort of junk missing from that front corner so I had plenty of room. I still get water on it from around the edges of the hood though, but I don't think much makes it into the filter.
Box it off completely? Top, and both sides? I'm debating on coating said box with some sort of ceramic coating, jethot, something like that, at least on the radiator side of things. Plenty of other things to worry about until then though.

For what it's worth, a little bit of water won't hurt things, it's when you suck up a LOT that the engine doesn't like things. Otherwise, you wouldn't see water injection systems. ;)

tErbo b00st

Hard Ass
Mar 20, 2007
Iowa City, IA
www.kougakuracing.com
Poodles;1838952 said:
100% completely untrue.

O RLY

Can you please show me any high horsepower turbo setups with a cold air intake? Turbo's do not want to have to work to pull in air. The more tubing and bends in the intake piping pre-turbo the more restriction there is on the turbo. This robs HP more then warmer air, which gets heated up more anyways and then pushed through the IC.

Or I guess we could also point out that intakes only give around 3-10 hp anyways, we'll be generous and say a CAI will account for 5 HP of that (which it doesn't, but if your under the assumption CAI helps on turbo's, then we'll run with it)...so why risk water getting into the intake for 5 hp?

airhead04

Aug 21, 2009
Lima, Ohio, United States
tErbo b00st;1839286 said:
O RLY

Can you please show me any high horsepower turbo setups with a cold air intake? Turbo's do not want to have to work to pull in air. The more tubing and bends in the intake piping pre-turbo the more restriction there is on the turbo. This robs HP more then warmer air, which gets heated up more anyways and then pushed through the IC.

Or I guess we could also point out that intakes only give around 3-10 hp anyways, we'll be generous and say a CAI will account for 5 HP of that (which it doesn't, but if your under the assumption CAI helps on turbo's, then we'll run with it)...so why risk water getting into the intake for 5 hp?

Yep, the more bends, the worse off you are. If you can get it as straight as possible, that would be your best bet. I run a filter right off the turbo.

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
airhead04;1839290 said:
Yep, the more bends, the worse off you are. If you can get it as straight as possible, that would be your best bet. I run a filter right off the turbo.

Cold air intake doesn't necessarily mean bends in to an obscure location on the other side of the engine bay, just simply pulling in cold air. I'd consider any properly heat shielded intake a cold air system.

airhead04

Aug 21, 2009
Lima, Ohio, United States
radiod;1839326 said:
Cold air intake doesn't necessarily mean bends in to an obscure location on the other side of the engine bay, just simply pulling in cold air. I'd consider any properly heat shielded intake a cold air system.

Which means bent pipe to underneath the head light

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
airhead04;1839331 said:
Which means bent pipe to underneath the head light

I'm not saying you need to move the filter anywhere. Keep it where it is, throw up some heat shields around it so you're not getting the hot engine bay air. Like so:

0403tur_03z+1998_Toyota_Supra+Intake_System.jpg