Water jacket in back of head?

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
On mine cylinder #2 failed with a BHG. I would like to see some data supporting cyl #6 failing more often. All I've seen so far is comments like the one above with no supporting data. The amount of exhaust flow is small in the EGR circuit so I don't see how it has any significant impact on the thermal load of the head.

Last edited:

TEMPEST

We're a work in Progress
Jul 29, 2006
New Orleans
www.cardomain.com
All the supporting data you can shake a stick at won't help my particular head. Which by the way has a longitudinal warp of .008 (not happy) as I stated...my head has severe pitting. probably as deep as .100. So it's either drill it or fill it.

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
With that much warp it probably got very hot at some point. Do a hardness test before investing any more money in it. Also sounds like the coolant wasn't maintained, so another reason to get rid of it.

whenmunkysfly

scratch that...going 2jz
Jun 26, 2006
United States
ViR2 said:
how much should i drill in the head? Is there any passage for it, or will it serve just as a hole for coolant?

I have heard about 10mm down but I just had my mechanist do it when he took the engine for my build.

The number six cylinder is alot hotter then the other cylinders because it's in the back, coolant gets to it last, and its surrounded more then the others with exhaust heat.

I was wrong by stating that the #6 cylinder is the one that DOES blow more often. What I meant to say was it is the more likely cylinder to blow because of heat then the others. Boost is another story.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
whenmunkysfly said:
I was wrong by stating that the #6 cylinder is the one that DOES blow more often. What I meant to say was it is the more likely cylinder to blow because of heat then the others. Boost is another story.
Do you have any evidence for that? For there being more heat?

Last edited:

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
3p141592654 said:
On mine cylinder #2 failed with a BHG. I would like to see some data supporting cyl #6 failing more often. All I've seen so far is comments like the one above with no supporting data. The amount of exhaust flow is small in the EGR circuit so I don't see how it has any significant impact on the thermal load of the head.

agreed with 2p.

out of all the motor with bhg failure that I have personally seen. They most failed between #2 and #3. Never seen a #6 be taken out especially towards the firewall.

Mr.PFloyd

I am the Super Devil
Jun 22, 2005
Mississauga, Ontario
TEMPEST said:
The #2-#3 area is where mine is warped most. Any differences between the nNA and turbo head? I may have a spare.
basically. one of the cams is different (do a quick search, because this is an important skill to know ;)) but it wont affect anything really.