Wastegates for 500hp

fonz87

89 Turbo!!!!
Nov 17, 2007
Streamwood, IL
Looking to see what Aftermarket wastgates everyone using on their cars and how good as it held? Any issues or leaks?

I m currently looking into using Driftmotion 44 mm Waste Gate temporarily till I can afford a PTE 46, anyone has any experience with DM 44 mm ?

Thanks

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Tial is 44 and pte is 46. Iirc they use the same flange tho.

Depending on boost levels and talking about crank or wheel hp. A single 44 would prolly be plenty.

Sep 19, 2011
Des Moines, IA
480whp with a pt6766 and tial mvr44. No boost creep. going to push it harder this year.

If you have issues with controlling boost you usually have bigger problems than wastegate size. (wastegate angle, boost controller, etc)

scottiedawg66

Apr 1, 2005
Bay Area Ca
horsepower and gate size are unrelated. turbo size, manifold, and boost control are bigger factors in picking a gate. a wastegate is not something to skimp out on. id rather run an ebay turbo with a quality gate, than vice versa.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
scottiedawg66;1994371 said:
horsepower and gate size are unrelated. turbo size, manifold, and boost control are bigger factors in picking a gate. a wastegate is not something to skimp out on. id rather run an ebay turbo with a quality gate, than vice versa.

So your saying i can reliably control boost on a 1k hp 2j with a 38mm gate? The wastegate is what controls boost and boost is a major factor of hp on a turbo engine.
But there is not set gate size for a certian hp.

scottiedawg66

Apr 1, 2005
Bay Area Ca
hvyman;1994526 said:
So your saying i can reliably control boost on a 1k hp 2j with a 38mm gate? The wastegate is what controls boost and boost is a major factor of hp on a turbo engine.

No, I was not implying that there is not a set gate size for a certian HP and there are many complicated variables that detrmine what is the best gate to choose.

Sparky33

Sep 13, 2010
NJ
hvyman;1994526 said:

when it comes to running a small gate with a large turbo controlling lower boost is usually the problem. the more horsepower you make, obviously the more boost you will be running, the more boost you feed the engine the less the wastegate will need to vent, but also as others have stated proper wastegate angle is key, most cheap manifolds i see have the wastegate in the opposite direction of flow which can hurt while trying to run steady boost.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
The wastegate will vent the same amount as soon as the target boost level is reached. Its either open or closed. The less amount of time for high boost is not much at all. maybe a couple seconds tops.