Want to buy this turbo - advice, opinions?

aloshan

night ryda
Dec 7, 2010
Sydney, Australia, Australia
So my stock ct26 is rooted , need a replacement but my engine is run in and I want something with a bit more puff and flows a bit more then the stock ct26

Ive seen the 57trim from Driftmotion,but I live in Sydney and the postage makes the amount unrealistic.(over AU$1000)

Will be spending $1000+ on a proper turbo down the line , but for now I dont want to change my intake/exhaust so I want something that bolts straight in that's going to keep me happy for the next 6 months while im doing tuning & fuel mods( il be happy running 20psi on high boost and 15psi safe boost)

What do you guys think of this?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/170734410538?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Comes to AU$550 with postage for me , and a 1 year warranty.

Advice, opinions?

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Those pics show what looks like a fairly stock CT26.
If the compressor wheel IS bigger, it doesn't look it, unless those are file photos, and not the actual product.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
That warranty cover the damage to your motor when impeller blade pieces go through your valvetrain? That eBay company reputable enough that it will be around a year from now?

No address
No phone number
No website (eBay only)

You strap that Chinese hand grenade to your motor and odds are, you're going to regret it...

Talk to Albert.

aloshan

night ryda
Dec 7, 2010
Supracentral;1809524 said:
That warranty cover the damage to your motor when impeller blade pieces go through your valvetrain? That eBay company reputable enough that it will be around a year from now?

No address
No phone number
No website (eBay only)

You strap that Chinese hand grenade to your motor and odds are, you're going to regret it...

Talk to Albert.

Advice taken

Albert is in America isn't he? Postage is going to kill me :(

Clint

AzSupras
Apr 4, 2005
Mesa, Arizona, United States
aloshan;1809529 said:
Advice taken

Albert is in America isn't he? Postage is going to kill me :(

If it where me in your shoes I would feel much better buying a good turbo once then buying a bad turbo twice... You would probably save more money in the long run...

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

aloshan

night ryda
Dec 7, 2010
Supracentral;1809533 said:

thank you, msgd him about postage prices ,probably be to much with postage though....guess il just wait for a high flow to come up for sale in Sydney if it doesnt work out with albert

Zerocool;1809535 said:
If it where me in your shoes I would feel much better buying a good turbo once then buying a bad turbo twice... You would probably save more money in the long run...

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

definitely will , but dont have the money to fork out for intake , exhaust , manifold , injectors , fuel pump + tuning upgrades associated with a t4 setup.

oh and my mechanic is trying to tell me that removing and replacing a ct26 is a big job that is very difficult to do. Is this true? Also dont want to spend another $400 to take my other turbo off and throw the new one on. He wants me to pay him ~$400 to remove the old turbo and put the new one on(assuming its a bolt up- job) . I think this is far to much and have seen writes ups like this that make it look relatively simple.....

Is it advisable for a total noob whose never touched a turbo before to replace it or should I be leaving it to the experts?

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
aloshan;1809550 said:
oh and my mechanic is trying to tell me that removing and replacing a ct26 is a big job that is very difficult to do.

4 bolts hold the turbo to the manifold.
4 bolts hold the elbow to the turbo
2 bolts hold the o2 sensor to the elbow
2 bolts on the oil return
1 banjo bolt on the oil feed
1 clamp on the water feed
1 clamp on the water return
1 hose clamp on the accordion
2 bolts on the turbocharger stay

You can do it in your driveway, with hand tools. It's a royal pain in the ass if you don't have the correct tools (extensions, swivels, etc) Getting the oil feed & return on and off can be a challenge. But it's doable in an afternoon.

TC_009.gif

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Could also buy a ct rebuild kit from dm and throw that in and make the car drive able till funds come around.

aloshan

night ryda
Dec 7, 2010
hvyman;1809567 said:
Could also buy a ct rebuild kit from dm and throw that in and make the car drive able till funds come around.

i am probably the most mechanically retarded person ever and don't trust myself to rebuild a turbo.at all.

gsxr141;1809568 said:
you could buy a good used stock turbo to get you by.

did this about 4 months ago, blowing smoke now , took me months to trackthe smoke problem down. would prefer a brand new one that will last me for about 6 months as opposed to something that may or may not last.

Supracentral;1809554 said:
4 bolts hold the turbo to the manifold.
4 bolts hold the elbow to the turbo
2 bolts hold the o2 sensor to the elbow
2 bolts on the oil return
1 banjo bolt on the oil feed
1 clamp on the water feed
1 clamp on the water return
1 hose clamp on the accordion
2 bolts on the turbocharger stay

You can do it in your driveway, with hand tools. It's a royal pain in the ass if you don't have the correct tools (extensions, swivels, etc) Getting the oil feed & return on and off can be a challenge. But it's doable in an afternoon.

TC_009.gif

ok Mike youve just saved me $400! thank you , there are a few write ups around as well. Really prefer doing things by myself , otherwise il never learn!

Also with cars like these , its good to know whats going on , otherwise you're spending $200 for the mechanic to "take a look" every two weeks.