walked an early 2000's Vette

Supra0089

Jan 13, 2009
New Hampshire
Heading up the highway today, going 70 in a 65...up in my rear view comes a silver colored vette c5. Once he gets close, he pulls in behind me, and follows for about 10 minutes...I think nothing of it and just keep driving.

Just after we get out out of heavy traffic and the roads open up with no cars, he pulls in the left lane and passes me at maybe 75 and pulls back in the right lane and starts slowing back down again. I pull in the left lane to pass since I'm gaining on him, and then I hear his exhaust slowly getting louder....I realize he's starting to accelerate. I shift into 3rd and start to boost the turbo. Suddenly, I hear him drop a gear and take off...Already boosting, I let 3rd fly...and to my surprise...I start gaining on him. I slowly reel him in and start passing him. I look over at the guy...he looks back and and immediately back at the road. I keep accelerating through 3rd and into O/D and now I'm a wheel up on him. I let off and he passes...and we both slow back down.

He's got a big grin and waves, I give him a thumbs up. He points forward again, and downshifts....I go back into third, and he gets a slight jump...but once my turbo spools back up (seconds later), I start reeling him in again, and slowly pass him clearly this time. I put my directional on, and pull back infront of him and let off the gas as I shift into o/d.

He pulls up on my left and is laughing...gives me a thumbs up...and I wave him on. He gets infront of me, and I following him another 7 miles to my exit.

It felt good to pull on a vette. I wasn't sure if it was a zo6, so I looked up the specs...and it could very well have been: a 2003 zo6 puts down between 350 and 370whp...my supra is somewhere between 410/420. He also weights 200 lbs less than my car. This makes about 8.5 hp per pound each...maybe giving me a slight edge. So a zo6 should have been a near dead even match....This was pretty close for sure.

Either way, still felt good :)

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Congrats on the kill man, a fat c5 weighs around 3300lbs though, the Z06 being closer to 3100. Still, always fun to see the look on their faces when their "king of the hill" Chevy gets pulled on, they rarely expect it! :D

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
Z06 Vette has a "bubble top" roof. Also notice the scoops right behind the doors on the rocker panel.

z-left-2.jpg

Regular C5 Vette is more of a hatchback look. Looks like this guy has the "Z06" badging, but it's a regular C5 body.

9113-2001-Chevrolet-Corvette.jpg

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Suprapowaz!(2);1761634 said:
Z06 Vette has a "bubble top" roof. Also notice the scoops right behind the doors on the rocker panel.

z-left-2.jpg

Regular C5 Vette is more of a hatchback look. Looks like this guy has the "Z06" badging, but it's a regular C5 body.

9113-2001-Chevrolet-Corvette.jpg

That second Vette looks like a hatch because it *is* a hatchback. ;)

The Z06 was based on the hardtop for reasons of rigidity and lighter weight, while all hatchbacks (called coupes by the Vette vernacular) were targa roof equipped. Also, I've seen those brake vents below the door on coupes, but ALL Z06 cars had them. All too easy to swap parts around on these things...

I've always preferred the coupe shape myself. :)

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
I forgot about the 1999 & 2000 FRC (fixed roof coupe) vette. They were very limited number though. They have the same body as the Z06 with the lS1 engine, and not the LS6.