Walbro vs. Denso

chuckmuska2005

Dec 3, 2007
canton
How reliable are the Walbro pumps and how much better is the Denso pump over the Walbro? Can the Denso pump be installed in a MK3 supra??:1zhelp:

Turbo Drifter

Dec 8, 2005
Surrey, BC Canada
chuckmuska2005;1164467 said:
How reliable are the Walbro pumps and how much better is the Denso pump over the Walbro? Can the Denso pump be installed in a MK3 supra??:1zhelp:

Denso is reliable, Walbro well I have seen more than a few go bad.

I have a denso in my car (MKIII) and its a plug and play. The cost of the Denso is a lot less than a damaged engine from a failing Walbro.

Jeremy

chuckmuska2005

Dec 3, 2007
canton
I don't plan on running over 15psi. I talked with a guy about the wire up on a fuel pump and he was telling me that I should bypass the fuel pump relay so that the pump would see 13 volts all the time keeping the fuel from laging, so when I go to get on it a little heavier than normal the fuel is there and I wouldn't have a lean spot. I do have a AFPR.

I'm wondering if the car would run rich and how bad is it for the fuel pump's life.???

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
I have two walbros, so that means they're twice as good as a Denso............;)

I've been running mine for about three years now and I've never had a second's trouble out of it.

86_sports_1jz

slow 700hp build...
Aug 27, 2006
OK
me too, i have a walbro and no problems at all. i think the walbros that fail are the knock off walbros, mine seems to be a real walbro with the writing on the pump itself. i guess if you use a walbro just make sure its a real one

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Keep in mind the Denso's have an internal pressure relief valve set at 60psi, this can be problematic as it will relieve at base pressure +boost so ie: 40 psi base + 20 psi boost and it's open and bypassing volume.

chuckmuska2005

Dec 3, 2007
canton
IJ.;1166361 said:
Keep in mind the Denso's have an internal pressure relief valve set at 60psi, this can be problematic as it will relieve at base pressure +boost so ie: 40 psi base + 20 psi boost and it's open and bypassing volume.

I understand that base fuel pressure and 20 psi would would cause the relief valve to open but what does this mean exactly. I don't understand the full concept.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
chuckmuska2005;1166850 said:
I understand that base fuel pressure and 20 psi would would cause the relief valve to open but what does this mean exactly. I don't understand the full concept.
Just that volume WILL drop off after 20 Psi boost pressure

92TealSupra;1166861 said:
The Denso will not allow you to go past 60 Psi~ Without some modification.
And just what "modification" is that?

GotTurbos?;1166865 said:
Another contender is the Bosch 044. Flows more than the walbro and denso, and is reasonably priced.
New 044 and 040's are made in the Czech Republic :(
I had one of each fail within 2 weeks of installation, neither were ran hard.

Using 2 x AeroMotive Tsunami's now and they've been faultless, If you could find Old stock of the German made Bosch pumps go for it.

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
IJ.;1166889 said:
Just that volu,e WILL drop off after 20 Psi boost pressure

Using 2 x AeroMotive Tsunami's now and they've been faultless, If you could find Old stock of the German made Bosch pumps go for it.

You like those Aeromotive Tsunamis? I looked into them, and compared to 'many' that are out there, I would say they're a good quality, along with a good price, I am still figuring if I am going down that path.

GotTurbos?

2J = Here; Swap = Near
Apr 24, 2006
Dallas, TX
IJ.;1166889 said:
Just that volume WILL drop off after 20 Psi boost pressure

Wow, I had never heard anything bad about them. I know a couple locals who have run them with no issues. However the same can be said for RPS C/C clutches when that certainly isn't the case ;)

My single walbro feels like its getting to its outer limits at 400hp, so I think I'm going to have to upgrade soon so I can turn the boost up!

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
92TealSupra;1166890 said:
You like those Aeromotive Tsunamis? I looked into them, and compared to 'many' that are out there, I would say they're a good quality, along with a good price, I am still figuring if I am going down that path.

They're a bit noisy but hold perfect pressure all the way to 22 Psi boost so far.

GotTurbos?;1166892 said:
Wow, I had never heard anything bad about them. I know a couple locals who have run them with no issues. However the same can be said for RPS C/C clutches when that certainly isn't the case ;)

My single walbro feels like its getting to its outer limits at 400hp, so I think I'm going to have to upgrade soon so I can turn the boost up!

I have a brand new 300LPM Denso here I pulled out because of this, pity because they're so quiet they're a perfect daily pump.

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
IJ.;1166893 said:
They're a bit noisy but hold perfect pressure all the way to 22 Psi boost so far.

I have a brand new 300LPM Denso here I pulled out because of this, pity because they're so quiet they're a prefect daily pump.

So what are your power goals? Is your engien built for more power right now, like internals Eagle, Cp, anything along those lines?

I am going to be running the 1jz soon, along with the stock turbos; which are in fantastic shape. I just got the head back from the machine shop. I had it deep cleaned. I was not to impressed with its condition when I got it. There was the standerd of a 'small' amount of oil build up. Not as bad as others have reported.

The head is now perfectly clean now, ready for me two put new seals in and get it going.

I do feel like a complete idiot though.. I ordered ARP main studs.. instead of head studs.. :3d_frown: I look down... and just try to walk away.. So now I need head studs for the motor.. damn..:sarcasm:

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
My engine is easily a 1000hp build but I keep it around the 550rwhp as a maximum to get some sort of longevity out of it.
(have a look at the 1st page of my "what I did today" thread for full specs)

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
IJ.;1166897 said:
My engine is easily a 1000hp build but I keep it around the 550rwhp as a maximum to get some sort of longevity out of it.
(have a look at the 1st page of my "what I did today" thread for full specs)

That would be the smartest route. I am jsut trying to get this 1jz in here to run stock. I do not think there would be much benifit in blowing a motor.. just to see what numbers it can run.