w58 with double diaphram pressure plate

24vtoy

May 17, 2011
durban
Hi guys

Tried the search but doesn't seem like anyone has had this problem before.

Basically here is the backround, I'm running a w58 gearbox on my mk3 7mgte supra. My build aim for is for 500 hp.

So after my first copper spring hub clutch gave up after some drifting fun I decided to upgrade to a solid plate and a double diaphram pressure plate and used the stock releaser bearing.

Pulled out the box and replaced as above and then I had no cutch. The car would take gears fine switched off but once started there was nothing so seemed like the releaser bearingwas not reaching the fingers of pressure plate, even tried legthing the rod on the fork.

So pulled out gearbox again and a friend gave me a lengthed releaser bearing ie. 25mm lenghth pipe welded onto releaser bearing which would allow it to sit more forward.

Put the gearbox back and now my clutch is pushed in all the time.ie I can change gears without pressing the pedal even when car is idling.

Sohas anyone had this problem before and how did you get around it.

I'm thinking about taking gearbox out and maybe taking off 10mm of the length of that extended releaser bearing

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
W58 isn't going to handle 500HP for long, so you might be better off just swapping the transmission and getting a different clutch setup.

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
I honestly don't care for the W58. To me it feels like I'm just moving around a lever not attached to anything. With an R154, I KNOW i'm changing gears. I KNOW when I am in gear. I love how "clunky" the transmission is for some odd reason. I think it makes it feel more beefy

24vtoy

May 17, 2011
durban
thanks guys

i still want to put this w58 to the limit

not gona change the box till the day it dies

Just cant seem to find why this clutch kit wont work :nono:

whats the best way of measuring where my relaser bearing should be sitting so i do get clutch ?

the height of the pressure plate does sit higher due to double strapped etc

Black Cat

Sep 11, 2009
Fort Bragg NC
If the height of the presure plate is higher why would you need to move the bearing closer?
oh and if any thing based on the pic form the other post you made, all your doing is making it so
the release bearing cant release as much as it used to but is not affecting the throw of the fork
because the fork is still attached to the top most part of the bearing near the metal clip.

24vtoy

May 17, 2011
durban
Yeah the pressure plate sits higher so its more distance for the releaser bearing to move . By adding the bit onto the releaser bearing you are allow the releaser bearing to sit more forward in the bellhousing, so as the fork pushes its closer to reach.that's myunderstanding.

Waiting for somebody to give me assistance

Black Cat

Sep 11, 2009
Fort Bragg NC
And that would work if you did it diffrently then the pic, if you lifted the release bearing off of the fork that would make it push more.
but from the pic it looks like you spaced it off the back of the case, so that when you let off the clutch it can only move so far away from the clutch.

Black Cat

Sep 11, 2009
Fort Bragg NC
Well there is your problem, that is a different style of throw out bearing.
ours doesn't work that way, with ours if you need to move the bearing closer
you have to space the bearing away from the fork and from the fork only.
so where those two metal clips are that hold the bearing on to the fork is
where you need to space it at.

I made a pic for you.
Pietermaritzburg-20130111-00396.jpg
It may take more modifications to make it work this way.

Last edited:

24vtoy

May 17, 2011
durban
cool thanks bud, but how will i put spacers there the fork needs the wire clip to clip on

anybody out there on the forum did this before ?