VVT-i and the 7m-GE

Turbo. Targa. Life.

SupraMania Shirt Slinger!
Apr 16, 2005
O'Fallon, MO
www.geocities.com
NDBOOST said:
Lol, it's only a turbo fast dreivethrough until you take the supra through it, then it slows to a crawl as all the teenage boys take a few minutes to come oogle the car =)
I actually had to request the guy pass my food as he was asking all these questions, and didn't see the other employee pass the foodbag over
Hey now, easy on the teenage boys comment **is 18**

by the way--nice job on knowing how to use formerly instead of "formally". I swear to god there are like 3 million dumbfucks who can't figure out which word means what...*sighs*[/rant]

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
yeah, interesting. NAs are still slow so I guess it's the cool thing to do to say yeah i have ACIS! even though its not even really helping enough to make up for the fact that the car is still slow. kind of like v-tec i guess :chicken:

siman

Lifetime Ban
Mar 31, 2005
Murfreesboro, TN
www.cardomain.com
VTEC is no where near like ACIS.

VTEC is actuated by oil pressure ( solenoid ), the oil pressure rises, the solenoid trips and pushes the rockers up to the higher lift/duration cam lobes.

Acoustic intake runner tuning (ACIS) is a whole 'nother ballgame.

-Jonathan

PS: That first page was funny about mcdonalds and the 7m frying time... :lmao:

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
i never said there was a direct comparison of the mechanical workings of either one...

thanks for the information i didnt really need or ask for?

re-read my post and see the true meaning. i didnt write it just to give you another chance to hear yourself talk (or post) :chicken:

trydrew

Suprafied
Nov 4, 2005
Earth
Correction to my post:
(Im such a dumbass)

AFTER "-":
G = twin cam (wide angle, 45 degrees or more between the intake and exhaust valves)
F = "economical" twin cam (narrow angle, around 22 degrees)
T = turbocharged
Z = supercharged
E = fuel injection
i = single point fuel injection
L = transverse mounted engine (seems to be an obsolete code)
B = twin carbs (only used on non-twin cam engines, obsolete code)
R = air injection
S = swirl intake ports (only a few made in mid '80s)
S = direct injection & swirl pot pistons (starting from '97/98)
U = emission package (Japan)
C = emission package (California)
LPG = LPG fuel

That last ones for Ian and his "7M-GTELPG"

And yeah i understand thats probably not what hes talking about but i need to redeem myself with a little common knowledge.

siman

Lifetime Ban
Mar 31, 2005
Murfreesboro, TN
www.cardomain.com
VTEC made ( can make ) a significant change in overall hp/tq numbers to small displacement short stroke motors Joe.

You said VTEC cars were still slow.

Evidentally you have never had the privaledge of riding in a 11 second all motor(b18c1) EG hatch:icon_razz

-Jonathan

chris89

May 31, 2005
Columbia, MO
no one answered how the ACIS system works. It's a really cool system that seems to work well and has a kick? I've never felt it but my ACIS isn't working... need to reroute some hoses and get a new TPS before i get mine goin'. Here's a link to what it does http://www.turbomr2.com/mr2/reference/tvis/tvis.htm Basically theres a butterfly door inbetween the 6 runners and below 4,000 rpm or so the Butterfly door stays shut for long runners for good low end torque, then above 4,000 rpm or so it opens up, switching to short runners giving a gain in high rpm power.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
I have written a short essay(elsewhere) or two straight from the factory manual on ACIS, if your GE feels sluggish down low, it might not work. VSV could be the culprit.

the difference between GE and the new FE.
FE has been around for a while. The GE head has a cam gear for each cam. The V engines are all FE, space wont allow for the two cam gears, so a gear drive pushes the other one. The 3S is the only one I can think of that came both ways. But it is inline. GE on the performance motor, for the valve reasons I suppose. But eyeballing them, you dont see anything really.

It's a really cool system that seems to work well and has a kick?
You shouldnt feel a kick. If you do, it probably doesnt work right. It makes a flat torque curve. If you car seems to take off at about 4500 rpm, then the VSV is probably dead. Just like on the heater valves, and fuel pressure up valve.

IHI-RHC7

"The Boss"
Apr 1, 2005
Oregon
Wow, I think that nick just answered the original question.
In analyzing the possible meanings of the question and giving the author the benefit of the doubt that he ISN'T and idiot.
I could paraphrase this:
89Joe said:
Question, what kind of diffrences does the VVT-i have in comparison to the GE motor? Are they for the most part similar?
To this:
Question, what kind of diffrences does the VVT-i system have in comparison to the ACIS system on the 7m-GE motor? Are they for the most part similar?
To answer this question in a fashion less like SF, one could say,
Stretch said:
Ya, I'm with Jono in the confused area. VVTI and the 7mge engine platform have never been together, and unless you're a miracle worker they never will. The VVTI is a system that adjusts the valve timing depending on different factors given to the computer about your throttle, speed etc... it's a rather complex system. If you want it you'll best be looking at the 1JZ and 2JZ equipped engines.
eric
Followed by:
chris89 said:
no one answered how the ACIS system works. It's a really cool system that seems to work well and has a kick? I've never felt it but my ACIS isn't working... need to reroute some hoses and get a new TPS before i get mine goin'. Here's a link to what it does http://www.turbomr2.com/mr2/reference/tvis/tvis.htm Basically theres a butterfly door inbetween the 6 runners and below 4,000 rpm or so the Butterfly door stays shut for long runners for good low end torque, then above 4,000 rpm or so it opens up, switching to short runners giving a gain in high rpm power.
And finally, a small correction by Nick:
Nick M said:
I have written a short essay(elsewhere) or two straight from the factory manual on ACIS, if your GE feels sluggish down low, it might not work. VSV could be the culprit...
You shouldnt feel a kick. If you do, it probably doesnt work right. It makes a flat torque curve. If you car seems to take off at about 4500 rpm, then the VSV is probably dead. Just like on the heater valves, and fuel pressure up valve.
The only reason I wrote a novel is because there were 4 pages of making Joe feel like only the poster previously known as TurboJoe should feel when he was asking a viable question...:3d_frown:
Hopefully this thread will encourage people to think a little more before they post a question, in our defense a paraphrasal of the question was requested, but we really jumped the gun here and I'm pretty sure that 89Joe isn't very impressed with our skills in civility.
-Jake

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Sunnyvale, CA
jefflange.ca
Nick M said:
FE has been around for a while. The GE head has a cam gear for each cam. The V engines are all FE, space wont allow for the two cam gears, so a gear drive pushes the other one. The 3S is the only one I can think of that came both ways. But it is inline. GE on the performance motor, for the valve reasons I suppose. But eyeballing them, you dont see anything really.

4A-GE, 4A-FE
1G-FE, 1G-GE
2JZ-GE, 2JZ-FSE (Okay, not quite ;))

I dunno, maybe another one or two.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
The 4A is inline, and that 1G is that tiny inline. Putting two cam gears on it for more accurate control is easy.

I dont know that Toyota has GE in V configuration in production or coming down the pipe. It will be interesting to see what the hopefully true rumor of a 500 hp V8 Supra will be.

edit:
Haha, How bout a 2zj-fstze?
Honda already has one.:biglaugh: