Visible smoke coming from turbocharger

caballo

Aug 2, 2008
So Cal
Hey everybody, how is going?

I have some quick questions here.. I was driving normally on the freeway at speeds of 65 mph the other day. Turbo pulled fine and such. Anyway, about 10 minutes later while I was still on the freeway the engine misfired( I don't know if that is what the term is called) but the engine felt like it gave out for a second. It felt like the engine tugged, it made a little noise, kinda felt like shifting into gear incorrectly. It ran fine after that. I monitored my temp gauge carefully and made it out the freeway safely. I don't know if what I am about to reveal here ties in with the engine tug, but when I parked my car and popped open the hood I noticed a little bit of smoke coming from the turbo area. It was the first time I see any smoke coming from the engine. All belts appeared to be fine.

The engine tug makes me worried. I am not sure why it happened. I recently replaced the car battery. Not really sure if it has to do with something. I noticed that my battery terminal cables were corroded pretty mean. I was told that by pouring a little coca cola onto the terminals any corrosion present will be cleaned away. Could it be that the battery terminal lost contact somehow and caused the engine tug? My cd player gave out the minute the engine tug occurred.

I've searched a few threads about smoking turbo and all I could find was seals going bad. I believe that maybe the turbo oil pipe is faulty. The smoke smelled like oil to me. By the way i switched to full synthetic german castrol oil some 30 miles ago.

Anyone have any tips? I haven't had a chance to inspect my supra since this incident occurred. I am going to have time to spare this week and could sure use some heads up.

Thanks and happy trials..

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Any seals that were on there way out will be toast when you switch to synthetic. Possible you just have a oil leak and the oil is smoking being so hot and close to the turbo.

Did the radio shut off? Like the cars power died and came back? Could have a loose wire or terminal somewhere. The little blue or white wire on the positive terminal likes the break and loose contact but the wire covering will make it look like its still connected.

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
I'd check and see if the feed/return line on the bottom of the turbo is leaking before jumping to turbo seals. That flange is a pain to seal properly sometimes, and I know of a lot of people who have just run with it leaking a tiny bit because it such a pain to get to. When the turbo gets warm, that will most definitely make a little bit of smoke.

Crashoveride

Slurbooo
Aug 18, 2009
Merced,CA
i had that same random misfire on the freeway going home last week...i saw my terminals were dirty. i didnt think that was gunna solve the problem but i cleaned them anyway. and it has not been misfiring since
:dunno: