Vibrating/grinding brakes...

Mastapip

Apr 20, 2009
Ft. Worth Tx
Did a search and didn't get any real help.

Today I was driving around on Ice, and every time that i hit the brakes hard, the car would slide. That was expected, but what was not expected was that every time it slid, if I pressed the brake pedal too hard, i would feel a vibrating in the brake pedal, and could hear a grinding coming from somewhere. I guess that something in the brake system is grinding, because I can actually feel vibrations coming from the pedal.

I've noticed the problem before, but the only time it happens is in wet weather, when i try to take a turn too fast. The common factor seems to be loss of traction.

Pads and rotors are all less than a year old, and have no visible problems. Car brakes perfectly under normal conditions. I think I remember this happening one other time when I had to slam the brakes to avoid hitting someone on the freeway.

Anyone have any ideas? If this is just normal for hard braking please forgive me. I just want to get it fixed if it can be.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
have you checked the pad thickness? ive worn out pads(high speed stops) in way less than a year. does the pedal sink to the floor(doesnt sound like it)?

grinding only happens when pads wear out. if the abs actuator goes out(the part that actually makes a brake system abs) all that will happen is you will lock the brakes as if you had no abs.(safety precaution)(besides the abs comp-which will have no part in grinding of course).

check your brake pads if you replaced the front you might have over looked the rear as they take longer to go out as most of the braking is done in the front.

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
The "grinding" is most likely the ABS actuator, it's common. If the pads were so far gone that you had metal on metal contact you'd notice grinding most of the time, not only when the ABS is active. Regardless, it is worth checking the pads.

SideWinderGX

Aug 8, 2007
Syracuse, New York, United States
If you only notice it in slick conditions it is ABS. The actuator pulsating the brakes sounds a bit like grinding...you'll feel the pulsating in the brake pedal. Completely normal and fine, although you might want to slow your driving habits down a bit.

If you hear it ALL the time and it sounds really nasty, time for new brake pads pronto.

Mastapip

Apr 20, 2009
Ft. Worth Tx
SideWinderGX;1477539 said:
If you only notice it in slick conditions it is ABS. The actuator pulsating the brakes sounds a bit like grinding...you'll feel the pulsating in the brake pedal. Completely normal and fine, although you might want to slow your driving habits down a bit.

I live in Texas and we only have ice MAYBE once a year. Everyone drives like idiots, and surprisingly, the ABS would go off no matter how slowly I was driving if I managed to slide at all.

Pads were all replaced at once, and in fine condition. Thanks for the help guys. I feel a little silly now. :rofl:

SideWinderGX

Aug 8, 2007
Syracuse, New York, United States
Mastapip;1477555 said:
I live in Texas and we only have ice MAYBE once a year. Everyone drives like idiots, and surprisingly, the ABS would go off no matter how slowly I was driving if I managed to slide at all.

Pads were all replaced at once, and in fine condition. Thanks for the help guys. I feel a little silly now. :rofl:

Everyone drives like idiots the very first icy day/snowfall, it's to be expected :rofl: Ice will definitely do it though, tonight was horrible for me as well.

At least you erred on the side of caution rather than ignoring what could've been a problem!