very strange oil leak

Dire McCain

Mar 10, 2009
Florida
After doing a HG repair, there is an extremely large amount of oil gushing out of the camshaft seal on the exhaust side...
I have seen seals leak, but never anything like this...naturally I am going to replace the seal...even though it looks OK...question is what the H would cause so much oil to blow out of a cam seal?]

I mean, the oil is literally pouring out of this thing...I cannot understand why there would be such oil flow/pressure under a valve cover...

Dire McCain

Mar 10, 2009
Florida
No, it's not in backwards. But even if it was I would not expect oil to leak in such a volume. A leak for sure...but a gusher?

Not insulted at all. I've pulled enough bonehead stunts to know better...

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
The #1 cam journal is what recieves the pressurized oil which flows through passages in the cams to lube all the other journals, so theres pressurized oil very close behind the seals

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
LOL on my head, my builder forgot to put in the seals!! Both of them. Now just imagine what I had for a oil leak and how I feet on first start up!! I almost shit my pants.

I would just pull the timing covers & gears , then install new seals on both side just to be safe.

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
yep both. I figured I lost about 2 qts of oil that was all over the front of the motor - timing parts and ground.

I talked to him about it and he apologized for it and said it is the last thing he installs and for what ever reason he forgot to install them. No harm no foul. It is just a PITA to clean up. In fact Im still cleaning oil residue off the motor.