Vented/Custom/Aftermarket Hood Thread

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
Hi everyone!

I am going to have a custom hood made and need some ideas so post up pics of your hoods and/or bonnets!

It doesn't matter if it's a modified stock hood, a fiberglass hood, or carbon fiber hood. I want to see them all!

Preferably on the car. ;)

Thanks for the help!
-Kenny

Last edited:

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
closetnerd;1643369 said:
What did you have in mind? I don't think I've seen an aftermarket/custom hood that was cleaner than the stock hood... but that's just me. Any particular style you going for?

I agree that there's nothing wrong with the stock hood. If mine didn't have the dent that it has, I doubt I would be looking at changing it. I tend to like "simpler" looking hoods; but, am keeping an open mind.

SWD Fredester 3;1643375 said:
I always liked what "Toy Fanatic" did with his hood:http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?85924-Vented-hood

I don't know how it would be in the rain, but it looks good IMO. Also like the Stout Hood like "Rodel" uses. Again it might limit the driving to sunny-dry days.

-Fred

Thanks for posting that Fred! Last night I went through the entire Black Supra's Thread searching for a particular black Supra that a hood similar to this red one. I couldn't find it...

p1643383_1.jpg

---------- Post added at 08:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:41 AM ----------

More Hoods...

p1643383_2.jpg

p1643383_3.jpg

p1643383_4.jpg

p1643383_5.jpg

p1643383_6.jpg

p1643383_7.jpg

p1643383_8.jpg

p1643383_9.jpg

p1643383_10.jpg

Last edited:

SWD Fredester 3

Supramania Contributor
Apr 25, 2008
baltimore maryland
This looks like a good project thread Kenny. I will be following your progress, especially since I have a nice new little dent in my otherwise perfect stock hood. Too many days in the shop and something had to happen! I've been waiting for RETRO SPEC to come thru with their raised cowl CF hood but I doubt that will ever be produced. I know a while ago I checked to see if Nick S. still had any Stout replica hoods but never heard back from him. I do still like "Toys" vented hood and I'll be waiting to see what you come up with, never know, you could always start a group buy.

-Fred

SWD Fredester 3

Supramania Contributor
Apr 25, 2008
baltimore maryland
Man I love that hood! Have to ask where he had the louvers cut? I had a '59 Jag XK 150 with a full louvered hood that was really nice. If you don't mind I'll try to fine a pic of that hood. I think it was done by some shop in Chicago many years ago. It's funny, I never thought of using a louvered hood on my '91 but I am thinking about it now.

-Fred

Captain

Sep 30, 2008
NM
I've always kinda like the Stout hood for its functionality but I guess I prefer the OEM hood.
I dont think there would be much of a problem driving in the rain as long as the spark plug valley cover completely seals.

p1643517_1.jpg

87M-GTE

Slow
Sep 12, 2007
Milwaukee WI
I like the stout hood and the CFX cowl hood alot!

I thought I have seen a Z style hood vent on a MKIII before..

+1 No fnf hood vents plz!!!!!

Sam

CPT Furious

Now MAJ FURY!
Mar 30, 2005
KDOV
SWD: The guy is a local shop owner here in Delaware. He had the press in his shop and he's also the one that formed the A-duct into the bumper. Only cost $1 a louver, so $48 overall. He had several different old school projects going on where he was making the sheet metal pieces himself. If he needs a fender, he rolls it out himself. Ram's Rods here in Dover. Awesome guy!

joel903

Apr 6, 2005
Conover,NC
If the op can get the stout hood made I'd definitely be interest in buying one. Seeing as no one on here has sold one in the longest of time and shineauto has said they will not make a copy.

SWD Fredester 3

Supramania Contributor
Apr 25, 2008
baltimore maryland
CPT Furious;1643615 said:
SWD: The guy is a local shop owner here in Delaware. He had the press in his shop and he's also the one that formed the A-duct into the bumper. Only cost $1 a louver, so $48 overall. He had several different old school projects going on where he was making the sheet metal pieces himself. If he needs a fender, he rolls it out himself. Ram's Rods here in Dover. Awesome guy!
Thanks for the info, I really like the "Old School" look of your hood. I didn't realize that you were on the East Coast, flying out of Dover AFB? Anyway, Dover is about 1 1/2 hrs. from Balto. so that's an easy drive. I will give him a call.

Thanks again, Fred