Vector89T (now 90T) white package finally underway!

Vector89T

stickerdave.com
Aug 21, 2005
Lafayette, LA
Well, I haven't been terribly active on here lately. I was before the forum reset that probably happened years ago at this point, but to make a long story short my Red 89T (affectionately named 'The Red Beast" by a majority of our local club members) was flooded in Katrina and has basically just sat and rotted since then. The chassis is pretty much done for as it's electrically challenged now, not to mention it was in a radiator-support-bending front end collision before I knew her. I acquired a 90T Targa to replace the 89T and was lucky enough to stumble a white package, something I've always wanted.

Well, I sent her off to paint today and below are pictures of the strip fest, which unfortunately is completely G rated.

The first phase of the stripping was a day and a half well spent by me and fellow SupraMania member popemobile. Thanks to Andre for a weekend of stripping. (Yes, I know that sounds HORRIBLE out of context.)

IMG_0088.jpg

IMG_0089.jpg

IMG_0090.jpg

IMG_0091.jpg

IMG_0092.jpg

IMG_0093.jpg

The second phase of the stripping was a very late night spent with the help of SupraMania member myothersupra and CCS Member Jeff89T. Thanks to those guys for burning the 3AM oil. These pictures are more of an indication of what translates to a "good idea" at 2AM when 3 guys try to load an engineless Supra on a trailer.

IMG_0096.jpg

IMG_0097.jpg

IMG_0099.jpg

IMG_0100.jpg

No Supra back seats or S14a 240SX front noses were harmed in the making of these images. :)

Should have post-paint pictures in a couple weeks hopefully. Coming soon is the structural foam and the sound deadening project. :) Hopefully it won't be another 4 years before I post about my Supra.

Vector89T

stickerdave.com
Aug 21, 2005
Lafayette, LA
Not yet. I think I'll keep my .57 trimmed 7M until I break it. Hopefully I won't break it till your 2JZ NA->T 7M Electronics conversion is done. I considering that route. :) I handed the painter a gallon of primer and other materials today to get started. I'm excited. I expect I'll have some left over primer. LOL. I hope.

Vector89T

stickerdave.com
Aug 21, 2005
Lafayette, LA
Well, went by the painter's today. Should be picking up the car tomorrow. Here's some pics I took while I was there. All with my iPhone, so nothing fantastically clear. :)

IMG_0116.jpg

IMG_0117.jpg

IMG_0118.jpg

IMG_0119.jpg

IMG_0120.jpg

IMG_0121.jpg

IMG_0122.jpg

IMG_0123.jpg

IMG_0124.jpg

IMG_0125.jpg

IMG_0126.jpg

IMG_0127.jpg

IMG_0128.jpg

IMG_0130.jpg

He said he's going to spend most of tonight finishing up the polishing, buffing, and swirl remover, but she should be good to go tomorrow. I'm excited. Probably more so than any of you are. :)

Hope you guys enjoy these pics too! The engine bay is probably my favorite.

Supradude7mgte

Throttle happy teenager..
Oct 14, 2008
Norfolk VA
*whistles*:naughty:

got alot of work ahead of you man.
engine bay looks sexy...........
parts look awesome, and the white will get dirty quick ya know.

but its looking great man.
just buckle down and go buck nasty with it:aigo:
good luck

Vector89T

stickerdave.com
Aug 21, 2005
Lafayette, LA
Kinda funny. Only took me and a buddy about 18 hours to strip it down to that state. Plus another 6-7 hours another evening, but it'll take months to put it back together. Tomorrow I'll post pictures of the shop area with the boxes and boxes and more boxes of parts everywhere. lol!

Supradude7mgte;1157606 said:

good luck

myothersupra

Jun 19, 2008
Greater New Orleans Area
Congrats Dave on getting it back to damn good lookin' again!
Sure looks a LOT better than it did sitting in my yard last year! :)

Supradude7mgte;1157606 said:

good luck

Actually, once he's got it back together it'll look a lot cleaner at all times than any color besides maybe silver/grey no matter how dirty it gets...
Plus with the engine bay clear coated it'll keep the greasy prints off the paint during reassembly and be an easy cleanup once the engine's back in.

My Imperial Jade 98TT looks dirty within hours of a full detail and Jeff89T's Black 91T always looks filthy within 24 hours of getting a full bath.

Supradude7mgte

Throttle happy teenager..
Oct 14, 2008
Norfolk VA
myothersupra;1157659 said:
Congrats Dave on getting it back to damn good lookin' again!
Sure looks a LOT better than it did sitting in my yard last year! :)

Actually, once he's got it back together it'll look a lot cleaner at all times than any color besides maybe silver/grey no matter how dirty it gets...
Plus with the engine bay clear coated it'll keep the greasy prints off the paint during reassembly and be an easy cleanup once the engine's back in.

My Imperial Jade 98TT looks dirty within hours of a full detail and Jeff89T's Black 91T always looks filthy within 24 hours of getting a full bath.

nice!
even better

Vector89T

stickerdave.com
Aug 21, 2005
Lafayette, LA
Well, the car is home, some nicer detailed pictures taken. It was at night in my shop, but it's the best I can do for now. A friend is coming by tomorrow or the next day with a nice DSLR and we'll get some good shots.

Overall I'm thrilled with the quality of the paint job for the price that I paid. It was painted in a friends garage by a friend of his. Total labor cost was $850, total material cost was something around $550. So, for $1400... it's fantastic. (There's another $600 or so in the new front bumper cover, fuel door, and front mud flaps.) There's a few blemishes here and there, but nothing that takes away what I'm going for. I expected a quality paint job, but not a showroom paint job. After all, I will be driving this car on the open road, and hopefully on some road race courses. I will be doing some polishing and stuff myself, but c'est la vie! I never wanted a paint job that's so "pretty" I was afraid to take the car anywhere.

I did get to see the car in broad daylight when I picked it up...and wow, when Toyota said "Super" White... they weren't kidding. It's almost hard to look at in direct sunlight!

I'll be calling my parts guy tomorrow to get everything I need to get some parts back on the car. Mainly because it'll make me feel like I've accomplished something, and the parts are virtually impossible to lose if they are attached to the car.

Enough babbling, here's the pictures I snapped tonight. My favorite is still the engine bay, I think.

DSC02117.JPG

DSC02118.JPG

DSC02119.JPG

DSC02120.JPG

DSC02121.JPG

DSC02122.JPG

DSC02123.JPG

DSC02124.JPG

DSC02125.JPG

DSC02126.JPG

DSC02127.JPG

DSC02128.JPG

Enjoy!

Vector89T

stickerdave.com
Aug 21, 2005
Lafayette, LA
pgiller;1159000 said:
It looks great, especially the engine bay!! So u r staying with the 7m?

Yes. My 89T has a 7M in it on a fresh-ish rebuild (about 18k) with some mods. Here's a brief list of my engine modifications at this time. Keep in mind, this engine still runs (and the car sort of drives) so it's all good to go.

* K&K FIPK
* Blitz NüR Spec 80mm Exhaust
* Brullen Cat Eliminator 80mm Pipe
* AMS Intercooler
* AMS 2.5" I/C Pipe Kit
* HKS 3000 pipe replacement
* AMS 3" O2 Housting
* AMS/RT 3" Downpipe
* Lexus AFM
* ND 550cc Injectors
* Walbro 255LP Fuel Pump
* NGK Coppers & Magnecore KV85 Wires
* GReddy 1.5mm MHG
* .57 trim CT-26 Upgraded Turbocharger
* Fidanza Lightweight Aluminum Flywheel
* RPS Stage 3 6-puck Carbon/Copper Clutch
* RPS Stage 3 Pressure Plate
* HKS SSQV
* Rebuilt Block & Head, .020 Over
* Engine Fully Balanced
* ARP Head & Rod Bolts

Here's a list of the electronics side of things:

* SpeedHut Custom GReddy look-alike Indiglo Gauges
* Custom Painted GReddy look-alike White/Black '87-'88 Gauge Needles
* GReddy Turbo Timer
* GReddy 60mm Peak/Hold EGT Warning Meter
* GReddy 60mm Peak/Hold AFR Warning Meter
* GReddy 60mm Peak/Hold Water Temp Warning Meter
* GReddy Profec e-01
* GReddy e-Manage
* GReddy 80mm Mechanical Boost Meter
* Lo-Tek Triple Gauge Pillar, 60mm Fitting
* HKS TEMS Controller

Some of this stuff will change, most like the fuel management and instrumentation for one. Also on the list is TEIN Coilovers with EDFC since this new chassis lacks TEMS, and the BIC DDP is also on the "must have" list. I'd like to have a full DAQ (Data Acquisition) setup in the car. Other stuff may change since there's a myriad of stuff available now that there wasn't when I built the engine.

...and before you ask, no, that's not a typo, it IS an 80mm GReddy Boost Gauge.

So, 7M POWER! :) ... for now, I suppose.

Vector89T

stickerdave.com
Aug 21, 2005
Lafayette, LA
Well, I was determined to get SOMETHING done before I left for SEMA and since tomorrow is my wedding anniversary (1 year, wow!) and Tuesday I fly out to Vegas for SEMA...today was my only shot. I had the loss of Daylight Savings Time as a blessing and a curse (woke up an hour early, but it got dark an hour sooner...thankfully light isn't a problem in my shop as you can see in the pics.)

Got the rear bumper on:

IMG_0152.jpg

Corner lights (polished up) and most of the molding is on:

IMG_0153.jpg

IMG_0154.jpg

IMG_0155.jpg

IMG_0156.jpg

IMG_0157.jpg

Pile of crap that still has to go on, some needs polishing:

IMG_0158.jpg

"The Red Beast" happily donates parts to the new car:

IMG_0160.jpg

IMG_0161.jpg

IMG_0162.jpg

Rear-most mud flaps sanded and primed twice, ready for bumper coating:

IMG_0163.jpg

Tails being polished, still have some work to do. 18 years of the road is harsh on 'em:

IMG_0164.jpg

...and so she sleeps until I return from Vegas. G'nite! (Also, "Holy Shit, Dave straightened up the shop work area! ... can't really see it in the picture, but I wasn't able to open the driver door more than about 6 inches until tonight.)

IMG_0165.jpg