valves stuck where do I go from here?

tig321

Mar 13, 2006
Edmonton/Victoria
I have a few questions I'm hoping someone can help me with. I bought a 90 turbo a month ago. The hg blew so I pulled the engine and picked up a used jdm engine. I ordered the new parts I needed and was going to put the engine in this weekend but...
The exhaust was within spec .08-.012 in the only strange thing was 3 of the lobes appeared to be almost pointed. My real problem however is that when I went to do the intake side I notice both valves on cyl 1 and one valve on cylinders 3,5 were completely stuck open. What's going on? corrosion? I was not going to pull the engine apart at this time (to change to metal hg) because I did not want to void my warranty. I also see a small amount of corrosion (small brown rust spots) on both the cams in the crank case and on the crank. I'm just not sure what to do. try to warranty or just pull the engine apart and go from there? any advice would be appreciated
Thanks in advance

Attachments

• excam1.JPG
    excam1.JPG
    123.8 KB · Views: 27
  • incyl1.JPG
    incyl1.JPG
    107.5 KB · Views: 31
  • incyl5.JPG
    incyl5.JPG
    95.1 KB · Views: 22

glntom

Apr 13, 2005
Glenwood, AR
Not knowing the reason for stuck valves, I would see if they would swap another motor for this one.(doesn't look like they inspected it very closely) No reason to have to pay to fix what shouldn't be broken......
OR forget about the warranty and tear it down and go through the whole motor to make sure its right. Maybe they would refund part of the purchase price if you went this route(I would want a significant refund). But it sounds like you already have a head and block(your old motor) if you wanted to build one.

tig321

Mar 13, 2006
Edmonton/Victoria
The buckets are still there. you can see the shim on the valve that is seized in the last pic. I've called the importer and i'm sending him the pics. I'll see how it goes from there.

tig321

Mar 13, 2006
Edmonton/Victoria
The engine I pulled from the car had high k (265,00km) and the head was really warped. I really wish I had just found a decent head and spent the money on a rebuild Instead of trying to save some time/money in the short term.