Valve cover seal replaced, smoke on start up...

SupraDreamPDR

Boost-a-holic!!
Feb 3, 2006
Springfield, OH.
well, i just finished up installing my new valve cover gaskets (i used the Fel-Pro ones from AUtoZone). i had oil in the spark plugs (in #6 and #5), so i removed them all and let any oil drain back down. then i removed the spark plug galley and cleaned it up, along with underneath it. installed new plugs and wires, put everything back together and tried to start the Supra... ...well, it made a turn-over sound, but wouldnt fire, i had to turn the key about 5-6 times and it finally started. white smoke cam pouring out, like James Bond smoke screen thick. WTF? i looked under the car and it looked like the oil was coming out of the exhaust (i have a DDP on and no cat. back). so i took it for a 15 min test ride, staying out of boost, i am still breaking in my new clutch, and come back and check it, not smoking nearly as bad, but still a little there. what would cause this?

stratoayu

May 13, 2005
surrey
you sure it wasnt blue smoke? because if u had oil in the galley (i just went through this last weekend) then any oil left would have went straight into the combustion chamber when u pulled the plugs.. now that the oil is sitting in there and the car is running it has to burn it all out..

stratoayu

May 13, 2005
surrey
yea sounds the same as mine. took a bit for it to all push out, but now it runs fine.. i also dab up as much oil as i could so not very much got in there. but yea i would just drive it for a bit, or just let it idle. and your good to go :)

aye mate

Hiatus over.
Mar 30, 2005
Maryland
SupraDreamPDR said:
i had oil in the spark plugs (in #6 and #5), so i removed them all and let any oil drain back down.
That would cause the smoke. Oil burns blue tho. By taking the spark plug out and letting the oil drain down there it drained it into the combustion chamber.

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
Yeah, it's only oil from the plug galley. If there is a next time like this, take some paper towels and wad them up in there, soaking up as much as possible.

btw: open dp ftw.

SupraDreamPDR

Boost-a-holic!!
Feb 3, 2006
Springfield, OH.
supra90turbo said:
Yeah, it's only oil from the plug galley. If there is a next time like this, take some paper towels and wad them up in there, soaking up as much as possible.

btw: open dp ftw.
what is ftw? only running open DDP because my cat. back is still floating across the ocean between here and Japan.