Vaccum Leak Help

Pride

Apr 7, 2008
Idaho Falls
okay so i just rebuilt the motor and put it back in. it starts but revved hella high. hit 3000 rpm before i shut the key off. so apparently i have a vaccum leak but dont know where the hell it is. checked cygnus and all my lines look correct but dont know where the leak is coming from. both my vsvs dont have the plugs on them so could that be the cause of it revving high. im kindof a newbie so dont hate to much.

vacuum_2h.gif

Chrisco

Build in Progress
Jan 4, 2009
Downers Grove, IL
A vacuum leak alone (excess air) won't make the engine rev; it would have to also be receiving additional fuel. Odds are your throttle was stuck open. Make sure the throttle cable and linkage moves freely and isn't bound.

Pride

Apr 7, 2008
Idaho Falls
okay so checked the codes and its a code 51. so you guys could be right. but it came off of a running supra so i dont understand how it could not work now. i have another tps that i could throw on but i dont know how to adjust it.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
to properly check if your throttle plate is closing you need to take off the top intercooler pipe and inspect it and if that does not give you a good idea you need to take off the throttle body

And i have messed with my TPS sensor a whole lot and have never got my car's idle about 1700rpms... Unless for seem reason a short or a faulty TPS sensor could cause this behavior but seems unlikely to me.

Pride

Apr 7, 2008
Idaho Falls
Okay guys heres the update. pulled the top intercooler pipe and checked it and it wasnt closed all the way (sorry for me being handicapped). so i fixed it, started it up and now it idles around 1700 to 2000 rpms. shut it off and now i have a code 52. gonna look it up right after i post this and see how it goes. thanks again guys i really appreciate it.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
52 is knock sensors.

Need to adjust the tps tho. Can just put it on anyway. Also the idle contact could be bad causing it to not idle correctly.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
52 is knock sensors.

Need to adjust the tps tho. Can just put it on anyway. Also the idle contact could be bad causing it to not idle correctly.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
There is a idle contact for the tps. Tells the Ecu that the throttle plate is closed. There is also 2 codes for the tps. One for idl which idle and for for off idle. When the idle contact goes bad it can cause the engine to idle really high.

When I did the last hg on my 7m my tps decided to crap it self on the idl contact. Made it idle at like 1500-1700 rpm.

Pride

Apr 7, 2008
Idaho Falls
yeah just saw the code 52 is knock sensor. one of my knock sensor wires from my wiring harness was cut so i soldered a new one on and got a used knock sensor from a guy on here so that could probably be it. is there some special way to solder it or do you think my knock sensor he gave me was bad? also will be testing tps today so ill let you guys know about that.

Pride

Apr 7, 2008
Idaho Falls
i dont think anyones still checking on this but id rather just post it in case someone has the similar problem. okay so the reason why it was idling high was because i had a throttle body from a auto so i just switched it to a manual and it worked fine. still have code 52 though.