using factory hg?

Godspeed

88 supra turbo 5spd
May 13, 2005
Asheville n.c.
i wanted to know if you change out the hg with another stock hg and use arp's and tq it real good can you make decent hp from it and is it reliable?
i couldnt find any good info on this.

LordLo

Jun 20, 2006
OR
I have a ebay hg with ARP studs torqued to 100 lbs and a few minutes ago I just ran my supra at 10 psi on the t4 T61! :love:

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
ARP torque spec using moly for studs is 81 ft/lbs...using motor oil, it's 105 ft/lbs. That is the old spec, iirc ARP revised the spec slightly for the new studs. You should use the values on the spec sheet!

Godspeed

88 supra turbo 5spd
May 13, 2005
Asheville n.c.
the mechanic thats going to be doing it said he was going to tq them to 80 but he will go by the specs listed with the arp's im sure.
can you use the stock hg along with the arp's and get good hp numbers?
has anyone here done this if so what are your hp specs? times at the track any info is helpful. thx
can you get 350+hp with a stock hg replacement?

Jaguar_5

It's ALIVE!
Feb 7, 2006
Seattle
If the rest of the engine and supporting components are up to snuff, and you have a GOOD TUNE to avoid detonation! That is the key, and then yes, 350 to even 400 with a properly replaced stock HG and ARP's, should be no problem

If your engine is tired though and needs a rebuild, you will have problems!

And make sure the rest of your cooling and oiling system is in good shape

Godspeed

88 supra turbo 5spd
May 13, 2005
Asheville n.c.
i will have him check all the other stuff also when hes changing the hg out.
the car still runs but the guy im buying it from said once in a while it would start to run hot, he said he immediatly stopped and towed the car home. but he said if you put water in it it runs fine . so im not sure what the deal is yet.

Jaguar_5

It's ALIVE!
Feb 7, 2006
Seattle
Be aware that if any water has gotten into the oil, that will drastically reduce bearing life, and cause lots of wear and tear, you're asking for rodknock if this happens!

aye mate

Hiatus over.
Mar 30, 2005
Maryland
I replaced my factory HG with a new Toyota one and ARP bolts torqued to 75ft-lbs about 30k miles ago. After I did that and some other maintenance I turned the boost on the ct-26 up to about 13psi it held great! I recently got an SP61GT boosting about 15-17psi and my HG is toast after 600miles :evil: . Grimjack blew his at about the same power level (guesstimate just under 400whp) I probably could have torqued it more, but I think its time to go MHG now more than ever.

I say, Toyota HG is ok with the stock turbo. Any upgraded turbo and you should look into a MHG.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Jaguar_5 said:
Be aware that if any water has gotten into the oil, that will drastically reduce bearing life, and cause lots of wear and tear, you're asking for rodknock if this happens!

Jag is correct...the oil in that motor needs to come out ASAP and do not run it until the HG is fixed. That is unless you WANT to FUBAR your bearings.

After the HG is fixed, I would put on a Wal-Mart SuperTech filter and flush it with some 10W-30 SuperTech oil. Run it for about 10 min, then change it to a good oil & filter.

staticpat

Supra Chair!
Mar 30, 2005
Birmingham, AL
I have been running 15psi on an upgraded CT-26 on a factory HG retorqued to 76ftlbs for over a year now. This is over 350hp and as long as I don't detonate I don't plan on any problems.

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
Ya oem gasket should be fine assuming everything is operating good and is installed properly

I have nearly 15k on properly changed oem gasket torqued to 76ftlbs and getting arps and am shooting for ~350 rwhp, im doing all i can to avoid any detonation though.

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
Godspeed said:
thanks guys i appeciate all the help. one more ? though about how much price difference id there in an oem hg and a mhg?

Depends on the brand, but there's not much difference in the price really if you plan on doing everything correctly and then look at how much you spent to do it that way ;).

Godspeed

88 supra turbo 5spd
May 13, 2005
Asheville n.c.
so i might as well use a mhg if the price is about the same right? i would rather be safe than sorry and try to save a few bux.
when it comes to changing the hg do you have to do anything different when using a mhg as opposed to a oem hg?

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
^^^ The stock HG is good to fuel cut...even on a Lex AFM would be ok, but that will be pushing the upper limit. This assumes an installation with attention to detail and ARP hardware. Above that, a stock HG's life is limited ;)