Used mk3 with 1jz vs. used with 7m

AaronB

Aug 4, 2012
Georgia
Ok, so we all know the big 7m vs. 1jz debate on which is better. Some prefer the 1jz, but its very expensive to swap in and will have similar performance to a tuned 7m. Now what if the car already has a 1jz conversion?

In my area I found a mk3 with a 1jz, only about $1,000 more than a similarly built 7m mk3. In that sense is the 1jz the way to go or still stick with a 7m.

AaronB

Aug 4, 2012
Georgia
First ignore/delete the other post.

Lets say in general way both cars are built the same, year, condition, etc. Except the one with a 1jz is $1,000 more than the one with a 7m (1jz is $4500, turbo 7m is $3500, these are prices im seeing)

D.J.T.

Aug 25, 2010
Arkansas, United States
AaronB;1868149 said:
First ignore/delete the other post.

Lets say in general way both cars are built the same, year, condition, etc. Except the one with a 1jz is $1,000 more than the one with a 7m (1jz is $4500, turbo 7m is $3500, these are prices im seeing)
I'd go with the JZ. A swap, i read costs about $6K. Your basically paying $1K for a swap. Thats a steal IF the car looks to be in decent conditions.. I've seen 7M MK3s for 2k - 3k but look pretty shitty.

MNBmk3T

Aug 2, 2011
Burnaby, BC
It cost me 6.5K to get my 1JZ swapped into my MK3. I went with a standalone though hence why it cost me a bit more. Definitely go with the JZ car, I've spent a total of $3 to keep my 1J on the road and that was to replace a worn out heater control valve with a brass coupling. I'm super happy I went 1JZ.

Last edited:

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
If you pay someone to do the swap it will be more. I spent roughly 3k total and did it all my self. Everything was new as well.

AaronB

Aug 4, 2012
Georgia
Thanks for the input guys! So ill get it warmed up to check the 1jz and go for it if it all checks out. Hopefully it doesnt sell in the meantime while i get the last of the cash i need

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
To me, it ALL depends on the quality of the swap.

If you get someone who hack their way through it, and you know that they're out there, then I'd rather have the 7M. Every time. It's way harder to fix bad work than it is to start over and do good work.

There's also the way that it's been treated, but you can't control that. I see way too many JZ swaps motivated by poor maintenance, so to me, the JZ swap is something of a red flag. Different if it's a JZA70 to start with, of course. I'd be VERY careful about inspecting the general condition of the car with the JZ swap, even more so than I would be about the 7M. (Not that I'd be lax with either. It's a 20+ year old sports car, I expect some hard mileage on them.)

All that said, we all know that even if the swap costs $4k, it doesn't add $4k to the value of the vehicle. If you were going to swap to JZ anyway, and the work done is good, then it's a no-brainer to go with the JZ swapped car. If, on the other hand, you want to be able to take the car to a shop and just tell them to change the timing belt, or some other task without having to go through the car's life story, then the 7M becomes a more obvious choice.