Usdm 2jzgte vvti cams in a non vvti 1jz

Cp2295

Aug 8, 2016
Camas wa
Hey just been perusing the forum and found info on 2j cams in a 1j and now I want to do the mod. I found a set of 2j vvti cams on eBay cheap problem is I haven’t found info on if vvti cams will fit in there and if they have the same effect that non vvti cams will when swapped into a 1j. I’m not looking to hook up the vvti or anything simply just looking to get the higher lift and duration the 2j cams give. Thanks all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
no you need a vvti head to use the vvti cams.

also the 2jz cams have to be machined on the journals to fit a 1jz cam. better off just using 264 cams.

Cp2295

Aug 8, 2016
Camas wa
no you need a vvti head to use the vvti cams.

also the 2jz cams have to be machined on the journals to fit a 1jz cam. better off just using 264 cams.

Okay, figured as much. Yeah I knew about the machine work I just read some posts where people found the 2jz cams provided better power across the rev range and smoother idle compared to 264 cams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

seoul4korea

Nov 6, 2008
San Diego, CA
www.supraforums.com
I went with 2J cams as a budget cam when I was doing my valve stem seals. You can try and find a set that have already been machined OR get a set of USDM Non vvti cams and get them machined as already stated. The biggest benefit can be felt at higher RPM's, they really help to open it up and have a big difference. Make sure you check valve clearances after the swap.