USDM 2JZ MAP sensor = vacuum sensor?

Sam

Jan 31, 2008
Saskatchewan
I have a 1JZ-GTE which is running extremely rich under load and consumes an insane amount of gas. I plan on replacing the MAP sensor.

I was doing some research and found that the USDM 2JZ-GTE uses both MAP and MAF sensors. MAP for boost monitoring and MAF for the intake. The USDM MAP sensor can still be used on the 1JZ-GTE.

So i find this part number; 2JZ-GTE MAP sensor: 89421-12111

I phone the closest Toyota Dealership and give them the part number. The gentleman tells me its a 2JZ-GTE Vacuum sensor, and does not have the tag "MAP" sensor.

I believe that the vacuum sensor is infact, the MAP sensor, but simply named differently.

Has anyone tried to order a 2JZ MAP sensor from Toyota before or have any words of advice before I take the plunge and order the $380 part?

Last edited:

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
Sam;1149668 said:
Has anyone tried to order a 2JZ MAP sensor from Toyota before or have any words of advice before I take the plunge and order the $380 part?

buy a used one for 1/2 price or less.

Sam

Jan 31, 2008
Saskatchewan
tissimo;1149685 said:
buy a used one for 1/2 price or less.

I suppose I could, but lately, I've been having issues with the used things I buy. i just want to make sure buying a USDM MAP sensor is still an option.

Bigzavs

86.5 1JZ Single Turbo
Apr 21, 2005
Arlington, TX
it works no problem, i had one on my old setup for about 6 months.

it is a map sensor, the USDM also uses a MAF, but the map from that motor will work

tsuper92

supra addict
Apr 7, 2005
mass
i would look into your oxygen sensor and ecu cap's before buying that map sensor.i'm also running a usdm/jdm 2j map,they both have the same part #

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
MAP sensor = Manifold Absolute Pressure sensor = Vacuum (and boost) sensor

It's the right part he's talking about.

If you want, you can have my old 1JZ MAP sensor. It was working perfectly, I just upgraded to a Denso 3bar. $100 shipped sound ok to you? Should take a day or two to get a province over.

Sam

Jan 31, 2008
Saskatchewan
annoyingrob;1150257 said:
...If you want, you can have my old 1JZ MAP sensor. It was working perfectly...$100 shipped sound ok to you? Should take a day or two to get a province over.

That would be great Rob, thanks.

I decided to take the Supra to a mechanic, as I have no mean to diagnose which part needs to be replaced/serviced.

As soon as they get back to me, and if it's the MAP sensor, I'll definitely take you up on that offer! Very much appreciated!

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
Well technically there is no Vacuum as we (on planet earth at sea level) are sitting at 1 bar absolute constantly. So that is why MAP sensors read from 0 kilopascals Absolute (kpa) to 100/200/300/450/600 kpa.

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
actually, vacuum is defined as being less than atmospheric pressure according to Chambers, Austin (2004). Modern Vacuum Physics. Boca Raton: CRC Press. ISBN 0-8493-2438-6. OCLC 55000526.

ABSOLUTE VACUUM is the absence of all matter which dosnt exist in nature.

sorry figgie try again :)

further more, atmospheric pressure is not "absolute" as you say. it varies constantly. barometers work based off of this fact.

tsuper92;1149722 said:
i would look into your oxygen sensor and ecu cap's before buying that map sensor.i'm also running a usdm/jdm 2j map,they both have the same part #
I agree,
if you are getting a lot of fuel at high boost, well, that is a good thing. You need a wide band to see what is actually happening. I am guessing you are around 12:1 which is awesome. A wide band is critical for any high boost application. Dont waste your money on another map sensor.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
lagged;1151051 said:
actually, vacuum is defined as being less than atmospheric pressure according to Chambers, Austin (2004). Modern Vacuum Physics. Boca Raton: CRC Press. ISBN 0-8493-2438-6. OCLC 55000526.

ABSOLUTE VACUUM is the absence of all matter which dosnt exist in nature.

sorry figgie try again :)

further more, atmospheric pressure is not "absolute" as you say. it varies constantly. barometers work based off of this fact.

ooh an opponent!

**Cracks knuckles**

again, vacuum is a termed coined by us to wrap our little minds around things going on. There is no such thing as zero pressure absolute in nature or artificial. Where oh were did I write that (I expect a direct quote showing me SAYING/TYPING that absurd statement)?

Vacuum is only possible when measured in guage pressure and not absolute pressure. So you ALMOST got it right. That book on the other hand DOES get it right in describing that absolute starts at ZERO (though theoretically impossible) through N. Gauge pressure on the other hand starts at 1 Bar a/100 kpa/14.7 psia but displays 0 psig to us at sea level and uses PSIg for positive from that point and mm/Hg for "vacuum" from 0 psig.

So nice try but unfortunatly a weak attempt at discrediting me when I am correct and the book actually coincides with my assertation. ;)

/class dismissed.

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
figgie;1151107 said:
ooh an opponent!

**Cracks knuckles**

again, vacuum is a termed coined by us to wrap our little minds around things going on. There is no such thing as zero pressure absolute in nature or artificial. Where oh were did I write that (I expect a direct quote showing me SAYING/TYPING that absurd statement)?

Vacuum is only possible when measured in guage pressure and not absolute pressure. So you ALMOST got it right. That book on the other hand DOES get it right in describing that absolute starts at ZERO (though theoretically impossible) through N. Gauge pressure on the other hand starts at 1 Bar a/100 kpa/14.7 psia but displays 0 psig to us at sea level and uses PSIg for positive from that point and mm/Hg for "vacuum" from 0 psig.

So nice try but unfortunatly a weak attempt at discrediting me when I am correct and the book actually coincides with my assertation. ;)

/class dismissed.

thats right class dismissed have a happy columbus day weekend!!

Sam

Jan 31, 2008
Saskatchewan
terror;1168972 said:
im having the same problem, did you check your engine codes? im pulling a 31

I don't have any diagnostic equipment (nor did the mechanic I took it to, nothing Toyota anyway), So I don't know what code my car would have been outputting.

But the problem was solved however. A wire leading out the ECU was damaged, and was simply resoldered.