USB panel mount

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
Anyone installed permanently a USB connector in the dashboard. I have a AVIC-7100NEX that only has rear USB connectors, and I need to install the jack somewhere.

Something like this might work, although it seems kind of big.

41Iwi1kNxsL.jpg

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Very jealous of that head unit. You'll have to let us know how it works out. Are you planning to use it with an Android for Android Auto?

The USB panel deal is awesome as well. Appears to be the right general size and shape. Though, I'd prefer one in the windshield cleaner slot with a 90 degree USB cable pointing off to the right.

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
I bought it because of CarPlay. I am a bit worried the flip screen will interfere with the center console though. I still have a few weeks to return it for the 6100NEX if it doesn't fit well.

I wonder if a slot could be cut into the windshield washer dummy plug, although the location isn't ideal to have a cable coming out there. Better to be down by the TEMS area I would think.

Last edited:

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
If you don't mind cutting the shifter surround, you could place either style plug just above and to the right of the shifter hole.
Otherwise, just hide the plug under the armrest.

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
Thanks Reynald. I like your solution, but I already put them in the armrest before I saw it. I also returned the 7100NEX and got the 6100NEX. It fits in the stock bezel without any cutting. The 7100 requires an opening that is basically the entire double-din area (100mm x180mm).

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
This is what I have for now. There is an AUX video-in jack on the left, and two USBs on the right. One is for CarPlay, and the other I have a 128GB flash drive plugged in for media storage. If the location is too clumsy, I'll consider moving them either to the lighter location or near the TEMS switches.

preview_png.jpg

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
For connections up to 10 Amps I have been using these cheap connectors that you can find on Ebay. They seem to work well. You will need a crimp tool to assemble. There handy for adding connectors to custom audio and accessory installations.

s-l500.jpg