Upgrading Turbo needing help deciding on the best route

So Ive got a 57 trim ct26 on my car currently. Its finally crapping out. Im wanting to upgrade to something with some more capability. Im thinking about getting the CAST T4 manifold. But trying to figure out what turbo to get. I found a used Precision 6266 for $700 plus shipping. Guy claims is has less than 1k miles on it and is almost perfect shape. Its hard to spend that much for a used turbo of unknown condition. But i keep seeing people mentioning the s366 which seems to be about the same price new?
Im trying my best to learn about turbos and what all the numbers mean. My supra is a daily driver when the weather is clear and I do not plan on getting rid of her. I do not have any HP number goal. but like everyone else more is better. I will be running pump gas 91 in it. I have ARC stock mount intercooler, ECUMASTER DET1, and everything else stock right now. The S366 seems like it would be a little big? Maybe more like the S362 would be better suited for daily use?

kakanator

Apr 25, 2010
Fresno, California, United States
I have a ct26 from supra sport that is a 60 trim going to install it soon how does the 57 compare to stock turbo? Also the ecu masters det that is a map from afm piggyback correct? How is that for your set hard to install and tune?

Havent really found much info on the SP61. I looked at sound performance and their "bolt on" turbos are now using precision CEA Billet. So what are they using for the center section? Does the factory (bic open mouth) style down pipe bolt on it? Also they offer a 6152 and a 6176 at the same price. Which would be better? Seems like a decent deal if I can use what I got with not having to buy another downpipe or manifold. Other than that the price is high if I cant.

maxburn

Jan 12, 2014
Iowa
Should be same dp I've got a defcon on my sp61gt.
PTE 6152 MFS (61.89mm turbine exducer) 640HP. PTE 6176 MFS (64.56mm turbine exducer, p-trim design) 670HP

kakanator;2039531 said:
I have a ct26 from supra sport that is a 60 trim going to install it soon how does the 57 compare to stock turbo? Also the ecu masters det that is a map from afm piggyback correct? How is that for your set hard to install and tune?

You are correct on the DET3. Its pretty simple to use, but it instruction manual is not very clear and theres not alot of posts/support on it yet so its hard to find the info needed to do everything. So far its just connected on my car Im still stock injectors and using the AFM so no tuning yet. I bought my ct26 57 from a member here and it was pretty well trashed when I got it. I got hosed on the deal, I put some bearings in it and a seal kit and it lasted about 1500 miles at 10psi. Also I didnt really notice a difference with it compared to my jacked factory ct26 other than on the highway it didnt lay over like it oem turbo did.

wardog

R.G.V WARDOG
Jan 19, 2006
ALTON, TX
Well if you decide to upgrade i have a Full Bolt on Greddy 20g turbo kit complete for sale. Let me know PM me for more info

MarkIII4Me

Project OVERKILL!!!
Apr 10, 2005
Charleston, SC
I'd avoid purchasing a used turbo at all costs. I've purchased several "low mileage no shaft play" units off of the forums and I've had to have each one rebuilt in under 2k miles. I'm getting my Turbonetics Hifi back from rebuild. Was blowing smoke on decel from the moment I installed it. Turns out the bearing housing was gouged up. So the previous owner most likely pulled it from a blown engine that had debris pass through it. I paid big $$$ for that turbo. Add the rebuild cost and replacement of parts and it adds up to more than what a new one would have cost. Love the turbo tho. Spools great and has an awesome powerband.

black89t

boost'en down 101
Oct 27, 2007
humboldt, ca
i would try to not buy a used turbo especially a precision since they seem to have a higher fail rate than garret or borg warner or holset that can make things well enough oem manufactures use them. i have a s363 on my car now had a hx35 before. the hx35 was a nice jump from the ct26 but not crazy laggy in comparison. has a larger exhaust wheel so doesn't die off in higher rpms as easy like a 57trim ct26. and they're pretty bomb proof and cheap. the s363 im on now is a similar jump up. its laggier than the hx35 but not horrible now that i switched housings. it pulls waaaaaaay harder than the hx35 though. any larger of a turbo though and i think it would ruin the car for what i like to use it for cause of the lag so keep that in mind when looking for a turbo. like a s366 which is the next size up with bw if you autox with it it would be like having a n/a car lol. i like my car to be able to autox, drag race, or hit a track day.

this is the turbo id recommend wish i would have found it before i got mine im like 900 into my s363 with the new housing and the diesel shop sell it with the tighter housing that works best for a street car. things do add up though switch to a aftermarket manifold and t4 or t3 turbo though compared to a bolton one. but the fmw s362 with the .83 housing would be a great combo. it flows the same as mine but spools a little fast cause the lighter compressor wheel. i had no clue they were so cheap from diesel shops....

http://www.dieselautopower.com/product-p/fmw62.htm

So SP does not sell the SP61 bolt on anymore they now sell a precision turbo with modified CT26 exhaust housing. The pricing for them start around $1100 for the MFS and its $230 more for the CEA 6262.
Im just wanting a reliable turbo. Im hoping they will offer them on sale soon (looking at their previous sales they should).

Black89T
that turbo looks interesting, seems to be a good competitor for the price. Wonder what kind of power its capable of? Also would the Cheap CAST t4 manifold be ok to use with this turbo? And I will still need downpipe, wastegate, oil lines. but at $721 Id still have quite a bit to play with to get that stuff vs $1100

Ok SP is not getting my business, ive tried contacting them multiple times within the past 2 weeks and never get a response. If they can't answer a potential customer then how about if I have a problem.
So Im thinking about going holset or BW just because they seem to be more reliable anyways.

This is the same turbo black89t posted and Im thinking about going that route
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BorgWarner-...bo-/300941700532?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6393

So ill be needing a t4 manifold/header, wastegate, oil lines, and downpipe. Is there a kit for this? I keep reading about the ebay header sitting the turbo back to far and also compressor hitting a tube. Whats the best route here?

GreenChevelleSS;2040589 said:
So ill be needing a t4 manifold/header, wastegate, oil lines, and downpipe. Is there a kit for this? I keep reading about the ebay header sitting the turbo back to far and also compressor hitting a tube. Whats the best route here?

No plug and play solutions for you.:biglaugh: You have to fabricate most parts to fit your engine/turbo. If you can do it your self it's not even that expensive or hard. If not then find a good shop to do it for you. eBay manifolds are semifinished goods......I used one myself becauce was feeling lazy....had to modify it a bit to make it fit. Oil feed is easy job. Hard line for turbo oil drain is best choice. Downpipe and water lines are most likely all custom fabrication. Borg is a good choice for turbo. :thumbup:

black89t

boost'en down 101
Oct 27, 2007
humboldt, ca
Ok SP is not getting my business, ive tried contacting them multiple times within the past 2 weeks and never get a response. If they can't answer a potential customer then how about if I have a problem.
So Im thinking about going holset or BW just because they seem to be more reliable anyways.

This is the same turbo black89t posted and Im thinking about going that route
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BorgWarner-...bo-/300941700532?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6393

thats the same turbo besides it has the open .88 that i paid 250 bucks to get ride of and replace it with a divided .83 on my s363. get the one with the .83 to begin with. dap has good customer service to and answers the phone. i hate it when a business has bad customer service thats a instant nope for me too.....

as far as to get it to work heres a mini rundown of tips i have.

for the manifold id get one from driftmotion as they have good customer service and have the updated 7m manifold. it might be a little more than on ebay but they stand behind what they sell which is cool i know from experience. id heat wrap it too cause lower underhood temps are always good. keeps thing from getting fried around it too.

for the wastegate buy a nice one right off the bat. id suggest the mvr44 that what i have on my car it come with springs to run boost from like 3-22psi which is a nice perk.

for oil feed get -4 aeroquip ptfe line and fittings. i had 2 rubber hose line start to seep on me from getting melted one was custom atp before i got the teflon line and its been good since. its not expensive and the fittings are easier to put on the lines. got mine off summit.

for the drain i have universal t3 or t4 -10 turbo barb fitting. then have the highest temp hose i could find. then i wrapped it in heat wrap. i think the braided drains lines aren't better. the hose isn't rated for any higher temp and the braid steel heat soak like crazy cooking the line inside.

for the downpipe they have universal exhaust bend in the shap of a J or J with 45 bend on top. those work great. the marmon flange and clamp are sorta expensive but you never have to buy a gasket again so that makes it not bad. and any exhaust vband are expensive too.

for ic piping id think you be able to get the ebay kit made for the mk3 and get it to work pretty easy. i have a ffim so i got a universal ebay kit and got it to fit then had my friend weld tig them.

good luck with the swap. it takes some time but its worth it for sure. the sound and great boost control of the external wg is worth it alone :biglaugh:

I have the cx racing intercooler piping kit for the stock IC and the ARC stock mount intercooler. I dont know if its any better than stock because it seems to have less surface area, but my stock one was pretty bad all the fins were bent blocking air flow. I got the updated exhaust manifold already on the way everything else is still up in the air. The manifold is a split outlet so I could get the twin scroll or whatever.

MkIII FTW

Aug 31, 2009
Huntsville

That's really interesting. I got an SP turbo last year and had absolutely no issue getting in contact with them.