Upgrading Factory Alarm

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
I read last night that to reset the alarm you need to close the door without locking it and then cycle the key through the lock a few times and it worked. Now the alarm arms and everything works but the shock sensor. I had the exact same set up without the diodes and it did the same thing it does now. I am beginning to think that it is a problem with the shock sensor or the wiring harness that it came with considering that the door triggers still work and they are going to the same pin.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
Well after checking some of the wires for voltages and continuity last night the alarm wouldn't arm again. I didn't change any of the wires or cut anything, was just testing them. When I got home today, I thought I would unplug the shock sensor and see if the alarm would arm. It did, and the alarm was working correctly. Whenever I plugged the shock sensor in the alarm wouldn't arm. I'm fairly sure that my shock sensor is bad so I ordered a new one from amazon. If nothing else it is an easy way to rule out the sensor being bad, and narrow it down if it doesn't fix the problem. I hope the sensor is the problem though.

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
jetjock;1917778 said:
So much nonsense has been written about how to reset the stock alarm I've lost track of it all. Doing what the owner's manual says is correct and will always work.

So far, I've read that you need to open all doors, hatch, and hood, and then close them
Simply turn the key on
Lock the driver door
Lock the passenger door
Lock the driver door, then the passenger door
Open the hatch

Basically any combination of anything tied to the alarm in anyway possible, i've read as a way to reset the alarm.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
Well the sensor wasn't the problem. I think the problem is not getting a good ground. The yellow wire which is hooked up to the cigarette lighter is supposed to be ground when ignition is off and 12V when on. I jumped it direct to ground and the shock sensor works correctly. The problem is that it can be armed when the car is running. I think the cigarette lighter may be providing trace voltage since it is also tied into the clock which needs to keep memory.

So, I tried grounding the green wire which isn't used since it is for the warn away function. Again, the alarm and sensor seem to work perfectly. My only concern is if it is OK to run the green wire straight to ground, since I measured 12V on it with the car running. Are there any potential risks with running the green wire with 12V to ground? I'm thinking that eventually all circuits run to ground, but I am looking for confirmation that this will be OK.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
Well I even tried buying a relay and using that the switch the shock sensor to ground when the car is off and I couldn't get that to work right either. The things that were happening with the wires did not make any sense, and I decided that I was just going to go without the shock sensor and just use the glass break sensor. It's a shame that I wasn't able to get the shock sensor to work, but I decided that I didn't want to mess with it any more. I had tried everything I could think of several times and couldn't get it to work. Thanks for all the help with this jetjock, hopefully this will help someone in the future.