Upgraded/Hybird/Steel Wheeled CT12s?

DonS1mpson

Black Supramacist.
Mar 19, 2006
England!
I've searched by have found surprisingly little info.

Planning on replacing the restrictive standard exhaust system on my Soarer with something a little more free flowing, but I do have fears that this upgrade is going to lead to twin failure somewhere down the line so I have started to consider my options for replacement turbos.

Now I know the general consensus will be "Stick a Single on it", but to be honest I'm not awfully keen on the idea. Their is definite appeal to the "bolt on" aspect of upgraded twins, especially when you consider that I'm not after a mind blowing amount of power. I just need a setup that is responsive throughout as much of the rev range as possible.

It has to be said that from the searching I've done this doesn't seem to be a popular option, but if I can avoid going single right now I'd really prefer it.

Has anybody got any information on the matter of upgrading the old twins?

There are some pretty impressive claims being thrown around in old threads on the internet, for example one company over here claims that their uprated CT12s would be happiest running 28PSI! :naughty:

Cheers

Josh

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Try replacing your turbos, or even just the y-pipe when the engine is in the bay... you'll understand why most people recommend going single. There are plenty of old school options (Blitz KKK 26 setup comes to mind) that can make impressive power and still have good response, but you're still gonna have a lot more piping than is really necessary. If you're set on keeping a twin setup, I'd recommend aftermarket turbos, twin manifolds, twin intakes, etc... If I personally wanted to stay twin, I'd probably go with a pair of GT3071's. :)

DonS1mpson

Black Supramacist.
Mar 19, 2006
England!
Thanks, but I ideally want to stick with the CT12s. The class I'm looking at running in for auto testing/sprinting only allows turbos in their stock housings. That's part of the reason I'm keen on keeping the twins (albeit it uprated for slightly more power and reliability.)

If I have to say goodbye to the CT12s I'll probably go for a cheap single kit rather than aftermarket Twins, but if I can avoid that route, I will.

DonS1mpson

Black Supramacist.
Mar 19, 2006
England!
Here's the specs of the twins I mentioned above. They are from a very reputatable company, but are a spot pricey (Single kit money):

sm_photo_missing.jpg

What do you turbo gurus out there think?