Up s*** creek with out a paddle!

Captain_Phil

Apr 13, 2009
Spokane, Wa
My cars transmission broke a few months ago, I would have pulled the Tranny out then if i didn't live in an apartment with no felicities to work on it (i Don't even own jack stands!)

Well I took it to aamco because a friend recommended me to them and they have a free "diagnoses" well they call me back and tell me it needs to be rebuilt for the Screw me in the back side price of $2250! I only have $800.

It would be $900 to install a used one not including parts, The only transmission i can find is a used one for $450 :/

So rebuilt for $2250 or used for $1350. :(

I might be able to have it towed to my uncles 20+ miles away and i could rebuild it there on my own but i don't know how long that will take nor do i know if i could even do it! Time is an issue since ill be using his work shop and he has a business out of it.

Sorry for the rant just wanted to get this off my chest

Captain_Phil

Apr 13, 2009
Spokane, Wa
If i had my passport your only an 8 hour drive canuck :p

I think i found a rebuild kit at o'reillys for $495, Anyone know where i might pick one up for any cheeper?

I have to ask my uncle if i can use his shop still :/

Edit: He has the space and a hydraulic jack! now for that rebuild kit....

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Swapping a good tranny isn't hard, you just need the tools/space/time to do it. $900 to swap trannies sounds a bit steep (ok, really, way WAY overpriced). Last I knew the Supra community up in the PNW was really healthy, so you might find someone who will help. I know the MKII community is big up there at least...

Koenigturbo

Oct 4, 2006
Oxnard CA
Captain_Phil;1671354 said:
How hard would it be to rebuild it? I have little mechanical knowledge but have done simple repairs before.

if youv'e done simple repairs then your in for a treat, trannies aren't very simple. if this is your first tranny I wouldn't try it unless you have some one that has experience tha can guide you. Your gonna need some special tools. get a repair manual!

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Rebuilding a transmission is well beyond the average DIY'er...

Aamco treated me great when I brough in my w58. $850 got it fully rebuilt. I love my w58. :)

To the OP: I'd find a used transmission. If you want a 5spd, here's a perfect chance to get one and do the swap. ;)

Bzdaname

Auto Dorifto Master
Mar 30, 2005
near Fredericksburg
students.umw.edu
www.makcotransmissionparts.com has always treated me well and has good prices if you get serious about a rebuild kit. I just rebuilt my 3rd a340e, if you have the right tools and a TSRM its not impossible but def. more than routine maintenance or simple repair. It may be difficult to determine what was wrong with the tranny if you rebuild it yourself...and most people dont have the right tools.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Buy used one. Maybe 450 tops depending on if shipped or not and itstall it yourself. Its a days work if you dont know what your doing.

Captain_Phil

Apr 13, 2009
Spokane, Wa
Poodles;1671350 said:
Last I knew the Supra community up in the PNW was really healthy

I haven't found any other users in eastern Washington

Will a Trans from a 7M-GTE work? A local wrecking yard has one with 120k miles on it for $450

How much Total does the Manuel swap cost? If I can even find the parts here....

Edit: will a Trans from a 1986 Cressida work if its the A340E? What about the 5-speed that came in those, Wikipedia doesn't list any details.

mk3-4-me

May 19, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
I belive the only differences between turbo and non turbo a340e's are that the turbo one has a few more clutches to hold a little more abuse.

That's what I found out when I was in a position like yours.
But I could be wrong