Unknown squeaking

Jenya

SupraBoii
Feb 8, 2007
Edmonton, AB
I posted this a while ago on supra forums but I got basically zero ideas about what this could be. Anyways, I did an auto to 5spd swap (W58)... Spec stage 3+ clutch and replaced everything. The only part I did not replace was the release bearing.. I also replaced the clutch master cylinder, however I did not replace my slave..

My clutch pedal is constantly soft, even though this is a stage 3 clutch... I've tried bleeding it numerous times, and all of the times it still feels spongy. Now that i pulled it out of parking there is a high pitched squeaking noise that is coming from underneath the car.

This sound is only heard at idle, whenever I touch the clutch pedal it goes away. When I first put my foot down on the clutch pedal, and press it softly, the sound gets louder until I press it down all the way and it completely disappears. When I let go of the pedal and it goes back up the sound slowly comes back.

Any ideas would be appreciated on these two problems. Thanks.

:1zhelp:

Jenya

SupraBoii
Feb 8, 2007
Edmonton, AB
I think I'm confused about the names of the bearings sorry. The smaller bearing that goes into the crankshaft was replaced with a new one. However the bigger one on the clutch fork wasn't..

I don't understand though... when the clutch pedal is released and car is sitting at idle, the bearing on the clutch fork doesn't touch anything technically??

Oct 2, 2006
Denver
It could be making the noise when it's not under load if the bearing seals have been wasted and the grease is gone from the races and cage of the bearing. That's usually what happens with sealed bearings when they go out. I don't know if these are sealed bearings or not, but I would imagine so.

Sometimes they don't make any noise when they are under load, but vibrate when no tension is being applied from them.

My car is doing the same thing. It makes a wreched noise when I put it into gear, but goes away shortly after I let off of the clutch pedal. I'm just going to do a clutch when I can and replace everything in there when I do it.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Yup, the only bearing down there that will care if the clutch is in or out is the release bearing, therefore, it's more than likely the problem. It's probably rattling around when there is no pressure on it, and as soon as you apply pressure it quits whining.

Sponge worthy could be caused by the softline that goes from the body to the slave. Crawl under there and hold that hose in your hand while a buddy steps on the clutch - if you can feel that hose expanding, it's time for a new one.

Jenya

SupraBoii
Feb 8, 2007
Edmonton, AB
GrimJack;965348 said:
Yup, the only bearing down there that will care if the clutch is in or out is the release bearing, therefore, it's more than likely the problem. It's probably rattling around when there is no pressure on it, and as soon as you apply pressure it quits whining.

Sponge worthy could be caused by the softline that goes from the body to the slave. Crawl under there and hold that hose in your hand while a buddy steps on the clutch - if you can feel that hose expanding, it's time for a new one.

Thanks for the good info. I will for sure try that with the slave. The release bearing is the one thats on the clutch fork correct? Anything else i should replace once the tranny is out, i replaced the clutch and bearing inside the crank, so is there anything else?

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
That's the bearing all right.

I can't think of anything else that I'd absolutely replace when I have it out... I'd certainly check the entire release bearing assembly with a fine toothed comb, there's a fair number of bits in there that could cause issues if they are worn, and they don't cost that much from the dealer.