Undercarriage Rust

Boostin 7M

May 28, 2009
New York
So while I was under my car, I decided to run threw the frony and back checking for rust. The body was pretty solid aside from minor surface rust here and there. But i noticed an area around the size a quarter that has rusted up and started to chip. The car is lowered so i suppose this is from it grazing while driving. My question is...is this something i need to worry about?

mirage83

Mar 21, 2008
Georgia
Not good. Water has gotten through the cracks and scoring of the undercoating, and combined with the salt used in northern climates to deal with winter ice on the roads and you've probably got more rust than you've found so far. I'd spend the time to check out any questionable areas of the undercoating so you can deal with it before it gets worse (and it will if it's not taken care of).

Boostin 7M

May 28, 2009
New York
Thanks for the replies. I spent some time looking at other problematic areas (especially the rear wheel wells) and everything seemed good. Its just that area on the driver side. I'll look further into the other areas tomorrow. But it seems that was cased by constant scrapping, being that its lowered. What would you suggest be the best way to treat that area?

Sep 7, 2009
Cambridge
I am only a couple 100 miles north of Detroit and I had a lot of little patches that were needed that really didn't llok like hole, until the carpet was out (which will show where the water is) and sand blasted.

Also, look around the fuel filter area and upper rear subframe mounts.

But i'd suggest fixing that, but also, pulling seats and carpet to have a good look. That undercoating hides a lot.