underbody Engine Covers

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
Better cooling, reduces turbulence beneath the car at higher speeds (see: more stable and save gas)

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
No, the main reason they put em on is to stop water from slashing up on the belts (why it's usually called a slash guard).

My car didn't have one when I got it, and as the cooling system on mine is overkill for my mods at this time it's down the list of things to buy...

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
If you've got it, keep it. Mine needed a couple fender washers and I added a couple aluminum braces to firm it up. Splash guard or not, my car feels a lot more stable with it when driving at speeds in the three digits.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
The small front ones funnel air into the IC and oil cooler...

The main bottom one is the one I'm missing. Usually if they're "falling apart" it's the bolt holes. Just use large washers to keep em on.

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
The large one is a part of the forward funnel. Without it the grill opens and air can dump out the bottom.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Makes a significant difference in coolant temps...about 10 deg C lower with the undertray ;)

Give Jeff at Champion (Jay Marks) Toyota a call...best pricing I've seen on one.

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
i still have mine.. they just arent installed :) i removed the main oen and the one under the foglights. mainly because of my mods they wont fit anymore :( but i plan on incorperating something to help.. like a diffuser

BorHor

2JZ-GZE
Jan 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
After I get a new front bumper and time I'm going to make one out of sheet metal or maybe carbon fiber.... Still about a year out until this happens though.

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
BorHor;1030362 said:
After I get a new front bumper and time I'm going to make one out of sheet metal or maybe carbon fiber.... Still about a year out until this happens though.

anything works, ive seen some killer time attack cars use wood :biglaugh: i will prolly use carbon sheets

Amontgomery

not so sad 10psi
Apr 1, 2008
Cleveland, MS
I would love to have the entire bottom of my car covered in either flat carbon or aluminum. It adds downforce to the car as well as increasing the cooling that was mentioned above.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
It is not a splash guard. Well, it is, that is not the main purpose. It is as CRE pointed out, for airflow. It creates a low pressure area behind the fan, so you can cool better.

ZoomZoomZoom

On the road again..
Dec 9, 2007
KY
Nick M;1030478 said:
It is not a splash guard. Well, it is, that is not the main purpose. It is as CRE pointed out, for airflow. It creates a low pressure area behind the fan, so you can cool better.

I often see engines without fan shrouds. I thought this would also play a significant role in cooling the engine..? I know in computers, its not good to run one with the case open. The fans cannot move the air properly.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Post #9 ;)

jdub;1030309 said:
Makes a significant difference in coolant temps...about 10 deg C lower with the undertray ;)

Give Jeff at Champion (Jay Marks) Toyota a call...best pricing I've seen on one.

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
Another thing I noticed about them.

They keep the engine alot cleaner! You don't have shit splashing up from puddles and what not.

*shrug* I have one from a parts car I acquired, I'm going to try and fit it on :)

kingsupra

Jul 14, 2006
d-town,colorado
my mom threw mine out because it was soaked in coolant. i just hate how hard it is to work under your car sometimes. has anyone used a different set up to still have the cooling effect but it doesn't cover the whole bottom of the car?

7MGTEsup

Formerly 'Down but not out'
Jun 14, 2005
England
Does anyone have a pic of the under tray, I have never seen one. If it aids cooling then I may just have to make one out of abs or stainless.