Ultra High Performance Summer or All Season? Kumho Ecsta SPT and ASX vs others

2jz88mk3

Dec 31, 2008
GVRA
As the resident tire tard, I shall chime in about safety,

I live in the same city/climate as grimjack.

Since I got a t67, I only drive on r-compound march-october and I use kumho spt's as my winter tires. This last winter, just before removing my Toyo R1R's I picked up an 8" bolt and destroyed the rear set. So whatever reason I said fuck it and left my r1r's on the front over winter this year. R-compounds arnt even allowed outside of the temp drops below -9c and must be warmed to 20c before reusing. That said, I didn't listen to any of that and drove em anyways this winter.

If you don't tailgate, and stay out of snow (I still drove in snow...the 1 day this winter). You will have enough grip to get around safely. No speeding/tailgating/jackassary.

Once you go r-compound its hard to go back... So I just picked up some nitto NT01's for the rear.... These will go back in the house for next winter.

Basicaly even a competition tire with some groves will make it down the road, in traffic and freezing rain. It depends on the driver.

Now I feel a drag radial is different. They are so bouncy that on the highway in the rain when they try to bounce, the tread can't handle the rain and your rearend shoots from side to side instead of bouncing. Again "possible" to drive in the rain but I feel the DR's are a lot more unsafe. I mention this becuase people are recommending nt05's which is the same tread as the drag radial nt05r. The nt05 should bounce less then the nt05r's... But its still worth mentioning.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
2jz88mk3;1823661 said:
Now I feel a drag radial is different. They are so bouncy that on the highway in the rain when they try to bounce, the tread can't handle the rain and your rearend shoots from side to side instead of bouncing. Again "possible" to drive in the rain but I feel the DR's are a lot more unsafe. I mention this becuase people are recommending nt05's which is the same tread as the drag radial nt05r. The nt05 should bounce less then the nt05r's... But its still worth mentioning.
I mentioned the NT05 as a comparison to the Continental DWS, comparing traction. I wouldn't really recommend them for snow/ice driving (at all), but they do fine on wet or cold roads. They just don't get to their sticky point unless the roads are warm.

As for drag radials, while it *is* possible to drive with them in the snow (found that out in 2010), I would NOT recommend it. The only way you'd see much forward momentum is from the wheels spinning forward, as you have next to NO grip to rely on. I didn't do this on purpose of course, I went to work, it snowed late into spring, and left some rather icky conditions (for drag radials anyway, would have been fine with normal tires) to drive home in.

As for your NT01's 2jz88mk3, you say they're going back in the house next winter? Where do you plan to keep them? I'd love to store my summer tires inside (garage keeps somewhat warm, but it gets down to around 35-40° on cold days), but I don't want my house smelling of tires. Ideas?

2jz88mk3

Dec 31, 2008
GVRA
te72;1823700 said:
As for your NT01's 2jz88mk3, you say they're going back in the house next winter? Where do you plan to keep them? I'd love to store my summer tires inside (garage keeps somewhat warm, but it gets down to around 35-40° on cold days), but I don't want my house smelling of tires. Ideas?

Funny you ask. I kept my r1r's in my bedroom closet over the winter, and I started to really enjoy the smell. Fastforward to last week: I'm driving back from getting the NT01's and there in the back hatch. I was thinking about how good the smell was when the smell changed from sweet fresh rubber, to hot rubber, then to smoking rubber. I'm thinking wtf I was only imagining a burnout.. And then smoke started pouring out my hood! Looks like my ac compreesor locked up and the serpentine belt nearly cought fire, there's chunks of rubber sprayed everywhere under the hood. I figure I noticed just before it caught fire.

So to answer your question: I don't have a better place to keep them and I'm now addicted to the smell of rubber from keeping them in my bedroom closet. (Every other closet is jammed lol)

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
I'll keep that in mind, I do have a spare bedroom, using it for car parts at the moment. Going to turn it into an arcade once all the car parts are you know, on the car... but I don't keep clothes or anything especially important in that closet. IF the tires would fit (closet isn't exactly deep, and they're a somewhat tall tire), I think I may try this suggestion. Worst case scenario, I can use a lot of air fresheners for in there. :)

Good catch on the AC compressor man, EXACT same thing happened to me with the 79 Celica I picked up years ago. Driving home, and the heater nearly caught fire, as I was trying to help alleviate the car's desire to run a bit hot... Shortly after, noticed smoke under the cowl. Popped hood, car was NOT happy having a stuck AC compressor...

z4ck

Feb 23, 2012
Houston
Do you guys think Continental DW's are good for ~425 hp? What would be a good tire to get for straight line traction? There's so many choices... I live in Texas so it doesn't snow btw :icon_razz

Figit090

Fastest mk3 GT4 1/4 mile!
Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
GrimJack;1823604 said:

Thanks. Well, I checked and not only can I not find a treadwear rating, but my local dealer has a supid "Hello? Hello?....Leave a message" on their answering machine, so either Nokian gave me the wrong number or that business has something funny going on, or closed their doors. Are the WRG2's more than $120/tire?

2jz88mk3;1823661 said:
As the resident tire tard, I shall chime in about safety,
I live in the same city/climate as grimjack.
Since I got a t67, I only drive on r-compound march-october and I use kumho spt's as my winter tires.
If you don't tailgate, and stay out of snow (I still drove in snow...the 1 day this winter). You will have enough grip to get around safely. No speeding/tailgating/jackassary.

How do the SPT's do down near 40 degrees, and in rain? I'd probably get those or the Kumho 4x, depending. They will see a lot of cold weather running, and some mornings after frozen nights (frost on rooftops and such).

te72;1823700 said:
I mentioned the NT05 as a comparison to the Continental DWS, comparing traction. I wouldn't really recommend them for snow/ice driving (at all), but they do fine on wet or cold roads. They just don't get to their sticky point unless the roads are warm.
I don't want my house smelling of tires. Ideas?

I've been looking at the Continental DWS tire, I'll look at that some more, it looked like a good tire.
You might look at your rafters/attic in the garage, that's the hottest area that isn't in the house, unless you want to put them in your attic in the house itself. That or get storage bags for the tires to contain as much smell as possible (it might still leach out, dunno).

2jz88mk3;1823847 said:
Funny you ask. I kept my r1r's in my bedroom closet over the winter, and I started to really enjoy the smell.
So to answer your question: I don't have a better place to keep them and I'm now addicted to the smell of rubber from keeping them in my bedroom closet. (Every other closet is jammed lol)

I love the smell of tire shops/tires, too. I wonder if this is common? some people hate it. I like diesel exhaust smell, too.

te72;1823873 said:
...Worst case scenario, I can use a lot of air fresheners for in there. :)
GUH, talk about particulates! I stay away from enjoying a lot of scented things that aren't purposefully sprayed to stink up ("freshen") the air, let alone air freshener products themselves. Not good to breathe that shit. (namely evaporation/spray products, but dry scents are probably not too healthy, either).

Then again you probably don't live in your prospective tire closet. :biglaugh:

2jz88mk3

Dec 31, 2008
GVRA
@Figit090

Honestly I feel the spt's are fine (for me) in freezing and rainy conditions (hence they are my winter tire). But it should be noted that I never boost/speed in the winter or questionable conditions.

You know that feeling when you get used to your power level that anything less then full boost seems slow and boring, well because of that I have no interest in increasing wet traction, since it will never be good enough and usualy comes at the expense of dry traction.

That's why I've switched from r1r's to nt01's. R1R's would hold 23 psi in second but not 28, drag radials did, but there too boucy for everyday.

Figit090

Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
2jz88mk3;1824294 said:
@Figit090

Honestly I feel the spt's are fine (for me) in freezing and rainy conditions (hence they are my winter tire). But it should be noted that I never boost/speed in the winter or questionable conditions.
You know that feeling when you get used to your power level that anything less then full boost seems slow and boring, well because of that I have no interest in increasing wet traction, since it will never be good enough and usualy comes at the expense of dry traction.
That's why I've switched from r1r's to nt01's. R1R's would hold 23 psi in second but not 28, drag radials did, but there too boucy for everyday.

I have a stock N/A engine with 140k on the clock and a few BHG's. I'm not even making 180hp. LOL.
It's a sideways grip ordeal for me, but thanks much for your input! :D

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Figit090;1824325 said:
I have a stock N/A engine with 140k on the clock and a few BHG's. I'm not even making 180hp. LOL.
It's a sideways grip ordeal for me, but thanks much for your input! :D

In your case, the SPT's will be fine :rofl:

Only time I had issues was when boost came on int he winter (stupid car LOVES cold temps and with the mods it has very little lag...)

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Figit090;1824261 said:
I've been looking at the Continental DWS tire, I'll look at that some more, it looked like a good tire.
You might look at your rafters/attic in the garage, that's the hottest area that isn't in the house, unless you want to put them in your attic in the house itself. That or get storage bags for the tires to contain as much smell as possible (it might still leach out, dunno).

I love the smell of tire shops/tires, too. I wonder if this is common? some people hate it. I like diesel exhaust smell, too.

Then again you probably don't live in your prospective tire closet. :biglaugh:
I've got no real complaints with the DWS other than the soft sidewall. Might just be that I have them on too skinny a wheel for the tire width too. Good as a snow tire? Couldn't possibly be. Good enough for the occasional snow/ice we get here? For me, yes. If I lived where snow is a CERTAINTY though? Probably would have went with something more dedicated. Cold and wet though, these tires do great.

I don't mind the smell of tires, but diesel? Yuck. :p

And no, I have no intention of living in my tire closet. No rafters/attic to speak of in my house though, the master bedroom is directly above the garage, and the attic is REALLY hard to get to unfortunately. I'll probably pick up a set of the bags, those are cheap enough. :)

GrimJack;1824282 said:
Prices are so out of whack in Canada, I can't comment on that. Tires up here cost a fortune. Actually, so does everything else.
What about buying online? I wouldn't dream of buying locally myself, you get ripped off SO bad because we have precisely 4-5 (ok, not very precise..) places you can buy tires.

Sep 7, 2009
Cambridge
Personally I disliked the the Ecsta AST (different from what you have mentioned) on a 240sx...

always loved the Toyo Proxies for great dry/wet grip, and progressive traction break away

Figit090

Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
Poodles;1824333 said:
In your case, the SPT's will be fine :rofl:

Only time I had issues was when boost came on int he winter (stupid car LOVES cold temps and with the mods it has very little lag...)

HAHA, yeah I didn't include that I have a lot less HP than a lot of people responding, it seems.
thanks Poodles.

te72;1824338 said:
I've got no real complaints with the DWS other than the soft sidewall. Might just be that I have them on too skinny a wheel for the tire width too. ...
Cold and wet though, these tires do great.
I don't mind the smell of tires, but diesel? Yuck. :p
And no, I have no intention of living in my tire closet. No rafters/attic to speak of in my house though, the master bedroom is directly above the garage, and the attic is REALLY hard to get to unfortunately. I'll probably pick up a set of the bags, those are cheap enough. :)
What about buying online? I wouldn't dream of buying locally myself, you get ripped off SO bad because we have precisely 4-5 (ok, not very precise..) places you can buy tires.

Thanks, I'll keep it in the list, I'm going to buy in the next couple days, I didn't get that credit card like I thought (didn't realize credit card companies do check to make sure you're not a nitwit, I was forgetting that and feeling like they're out to give anybody an account because that's how they make money; people who don't know what they're doing.

I'd buy online (i have in the past) but that makes repairs more costly (or more of a hassle if you get reimbursed probably), and I found a place (Quick Lane, a subsidary of Ford I am told) that will price-match with online, and will currently give me $100 refund check and a free alignment, along with rotations, flat repair, and balancing for free. all the little bits and convenience and i'm going there for sure now..

#04;1824350 said:
Personally I disliked the the Ecsta AST (different from what you have mentioned) on a 240sx...

always loved the Toyo Proxies for great dry/wet grip, and progressive traction break away

My asx's were definitely rated higher, and they were pretty good. I want to experience a summer tire, though. ;) I'm going to ask some local guys too what they think.

Do those who said summer tires aren't safe know my car has less than 200hp? lol......

Based on the brands that I can get discounts with (pirelli, hankook, continental, dunlop, goodyear and yokohama) I'll probably go with the Yoko S.Drive or the Continental DWS, depending. :)

Last edited:

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
What size tire are you looking for? I can recommend whole-heartedly the NT05 if you're looking for a sticky, reasonably priced summer tire. Worst case, you don't like them, you're likely able to be able to find someone in your area that would want them, sell them cheap, buy another set of something you'd rather have.

Figit090

Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
te72;1824758 said:
What size tire are you looking for? I can recommend whole-heartedly the NT05 if you're looking for a sticky, reasonably priced summer tire. Worst case, you don't like them, you're likely able to be able to find someone in your area that would want them, sell them cheap, buy another set of something you'd rather have.

225/50/16. That tire is a little too pricey for what I'm looking for, but thank you. :)

I liked the Kumho SPT, but since I can't get $100 off and a free alignment with that brand I narrowed it down to just the tires available for that discount on tire rack, and came up with either the Continental extremecontact DW, or the Yokohama S.Drive.

Given that the Continental is a max performance (at least at tire rack) vs the Yokohama's Ultra High Performance rating, plus the Continental's higher treadwear rating, I'm going to go with that tire I think.

As far as I can tell from TR's 6 tests the Continental seems a bit better in the wet and while softer in the sidewall this tire will probably handle better than the ASX given it's type. I'm excited! :D
I talked to more friends locally and they don't have a problem on summer tires here, and I don't drive like a loon, so I know what to do now.

Thanks again for all your help everyone.

Extremecontact DW
co_extrm_contct_ci2_l.jpg

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...5WR6ECDW&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

S.Drive
yo_sdrive_ci2_l.jpg

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...e&sidewall=Blackwall&partnum=25WR6S&tab=Sizes

Funny thing, now I'll have a Japanese sports car with Italian rims, and Brazilian tires. LOL.:biglaugh:

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Figit090;1824957 said:
Funny thing, now I'll have a Japanese sports car with Italian rims, and Brazilian tires. LOL.:biglaugh:
Nothing wrong with that. I also have a Japanese car with a good mix of American, Australian, possibly Brazilian (tires), all held together by a good helping of Chinese made zip ties and bolts. :p

One thing to note about my experience with the Continentals, if the DW are like the DWS, you'll have a fairly soft sidewall. Don't let it fool you though, once it stops squishing and scrubbing, there's some pretty serious traction to be had. ;)

Figit090

Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
te72;1825009 said:
Nothing wrong with that. I also have a Japanese car with a good mix of American, Australian, possibly Brazilian (tires), all held together by a good helping of Chinese made zip ties and bolts. :p

One thing to note about my experience with the Continentals, if the DW are like the DWS, you'll have a fairly soft sidewall. Don't let it fool you though, once it stops squishing and scrubbing, there's some pretty serious traction to be had. ;)

yeah I read your comment on the DWS, and given this is a commute car with a GT background and truck-high suspension, I think the softish sidewall will be fine, and the grip will make a few autocross runs more fun. :D

Thanks again!

Figit090

Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
Update:
I've put about 300 miles on the Conti's now, and I must say; so far they are great! mild rainy days show they take to water well, and show just a little resistance when I hit hydroplane-size puddles (no huge ones yet). Also, the grip is FANTASTIC over the Kumho ASX all-seasons. I haven't had much chance to break them loose to see if they let go progressively/with warning, they did surprise me a bit in a wet parking lot but I'm still getting used to them and I could hold control of the car despite loosing grip out back. Slightly more oversteer in the dry than the ASX's in roundabouts; they feel like they want to drift all four wheels rather than understeer into the curb, which feels nice, but since they grip so much better I can't go much faster to test that without running them at the auto-x track. Just isn't safe now because I can hold even more speed.

We'll see later, but so far, I love 'em! Road noise is low, ride is nice. There's a slight "wob wob wob" noise (barely noticeable) on one or more tires, but it's nothing I won't get used to and hard to hear unless you listen for it.

Thanks again for all the help and teaching me about how summer tires do in cold weather, I'm anxious to see how they do down aroudn 40 degrees, but I'm sure I won't be driving like an ass on those days to find out if they're scary. I think the extra grip is a great tradeoff for more safety/fun on warmer days.

untitled.jpg

Here's an image of the tread pattern for the 225/50/16's.
Check out the rain channels! I don't expect to hydroplane very easily with these :)

Last edited:

jeddyminit

Jul 20, 2009
San Diego 858
i would go with the yokohama s-drives over any kumhos. kumhos are just horrible tires in general. s-drives may be pricey but i would also recommend dunlop direzza dz101 great performing tire for a great low price