Uh oh, Read if you enjoy spring time start up horror stories.

honeydew

Supra Freebaser
May 10, 2007
Toronto, Ontario
So I started up the Supra just to wash it. I knew I had a cooling problem last year when I put it away. I assumed it was a fan clutch, maybe it was but....

I had replaced the head gasket last-last summer after a night at Cayuga, on the way home the gasket exploded. When it was replaced it was obvious it wouldn't last long with any extra boost as the deck was pretty badly rust pitted. It lasted last summer but....

I started it up no problem but about after 3 minutes it just started to billow white smoke out the tail pipe. Washed it, took it around the block and put it away.

I guess now I can put in my 2JZ that has been sitting around for 3years. I have almost everything except a BOV and I'm now using a 38mm wastegate intead of the monster I had from Tial. Might be a while until it's road worthy again.

I have ordered a GT4094 as my turbo with the 60-1 impeller ate something and had a meltdown.

So if anyone has a BOV they would like to get rid of?....

Anyone else have a spring start up story to make me feel better?

Kevin

7mgte -> 7mgte swap done.
Apr 20, 2009
Windsor Ontario Canada
that doesnt sound so horrific lol.. imagine starting up to something even worse like rod knock or something lol.. not saying it happened to me but that would be soo much worse
good to know u have an extra motor to drop in :)

honeydew

Supra Freebaser
May 10, 2007
Toronto, Ontario
Rod knock worse. I don`t think so. I had a rod knock last year, horrible horrible rod knock which loved to sound off at about 1800- 2100 rpm. Very entertaining. I just shook out the rod bearings and replaced them then put in some thick oil, no more rod knock. Lord knows how long that fix would have lasted but it got me through at least a season, not bad.

Blown head gasket. well i`m screwed. Cause I know what the deck is looking like and it just won`t hold another gasket.

honeydew

Supra Freebaser
May 10, 2007
Toronto, Ontario
OneJArpus;1710959 said:
My horror story start up was going to the garage starting it up and it being on EMPTY! :( $4.00+ a gallon hurts on a complete fill up.

Hahaha! $4 a gallon? You lucky lucky basterd. That's like .95/ litre? I pay $1.50/ litre or $5.70/ gallon for 94octane. Worth every penny thou.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
OneJArpus;1710959 said:
My horror story start up was going to the garage starting it up and it being on EMPTY! :( $4.00+ a gallon hurts on a complete fill up.

+1 4.45 a gallon for 91... and i DD mine :(

honeydew;1711067 said:
I pay $1.50/ litre or $5.70/ gallon for 94octane.

Dreading the summer here 87 octane is going to hit $6 a gallon

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Its about 1.50/litre in Calgary right now (for Premium) as well.
I took my car out.. realised I need new rubber... went and worked out the costs for complete body/paint.. car ran great but I realised its gonna cost me a fair amount more than I thought to finish.. :)

bioskyline

Oct 21, 2010
powell river bc
well the supra will pass almost anything on the road, except the gas pumps.

back on subject, not supra related but i parked my boat for the winter. went to start it and noticed water spraying out in the boat. i guess after the flush of salt water, i forgot to drain the block *facepalm* , and it froze, poped all the frost plugs and who know what else. (its a 350 chev inboard) so no fishing for a while till i get a new motor. im almost tempted to drop a 2JZ-GE in the boat, but that seems like to much work atm

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Well I let my Mk2 sit for a while when it was in storage, and wasn't starting it frequently enough... now it knocks a bit upon startup. :(