TX2k8 Tips for Travelers

Scot

Enough is Never Enough
Jan 9, 2008
Houston, TX
I live in West Houston, only about 20 minutes from the track, I thought I would start a thread to help answer questions or provide some helpful tips how to navigate around and through Houston. Good places to eat, how to avoid the traffic, etc.

Traffic for example, if you will be coming into town from the east via I-10, try to avoid rush hour. Yeah that sounds like a "no brainer" but you should avoid it at all cost. If by chance you do find yourself downtown during the 4:00 - 6:30 timeframe, and you have more than one person in you vehicle, make SURE you get on the HOV lane heading west. There is only ONE place to get on , and if you miss it, you are screwed. It will take you past Katy, TX, which is only a few miles from Sealy. You will blaze past about 15 miles of traffic that is standing still. Otherewise it is takes about an hour+ to go the same distance.

No trailers, and the time between 4:45 and 6:00 you will need three people, otherwise two will do. (I will check and edit if needed). ( I think it is a $200.00 fine if caught without the correct amount of riders.)

For those of you who want to taste some pretty good Mexican food (Tex-Mex), that you can only find in Texas, any PappaSito's is a sure bet. Not exactly cheap, but if you are looking for a good meal, you won't be disappointed. There are quite a few in the city one on the east and west side of Houston on I-10. There is also a couple on I-45. They are in Dallas, San Antonio, Austin, as well.

Want seafood? Pappa Deauxs.... pretty pricy but outstanding...

Then there is obviously every chain known to man as well.

FYI, I-10 is aka the "Katy Freeway" and is undergoing a MAJOR expansion project from the loop 610 to Hwy 6. Check this link out. (This is the intersection I use everyday at I-10 and Hwy 6)... http://www.katyfreeway.org/ContractC1_SH6.html It's almost done, but not quite....

If you are coming in on I-45 you will want to take the Sam Houston Toll way, AKA Beltway 8 all the way around to I-10. Bring about $5 in quarters to avoid waiting the toll booth change lines.

If anyone else has good places to stop along the way in different cities, or tips for navigation, go ahead and add to the thread.

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
i dont know if theres any grandy's in houston but i suggest everyone try the chicken fried chicken :):) they are all over dallas and its the biggest thing i miss from texas

NgoFcukinWay

Formerly Got Boost?
Apr 3, 2005
Houston, Tx
I haven't seen a Grandy in ages around here.

If you want good Mexican food, try those hole-in-the-wall restaurants. Them's some good eatin'.

Johnny Dangerously

I can eat planets
Apr 4, 2005
Corpus Christi, TX..
Hey you TX2k8 peoples...im gonna throw another group dinner as ive done the past 3 years. So yeah...some people are wanting Hooters, others want to do PF Changs again.

I dont really care which route we take, either way im getting a phat buzz and eating food...but i was just seeing what the people wanted.