Two Bad AFMs in 2 Months?

XofXtimeX

Clean 2JZ
Feb 25, 2006
Arlington, TX
The issue is that I keep throwing code 31 for AFM Signal. First time around I found a used one, put it in and it ran well for two months. Then at the end of February it did the same thing. The car hasn't moved since. What happens with the car when it throws the code is that it will pin rich on idle (10.0 AFR) and it's really difficult to accelerate as the engine starts to hesitate strongly under accel.

Another thing, during Xmas which was around the first time this happened, I found this on the compressor side of the turbocharger:

p1539333_1.jpg

p1539333_2.jpg

So I cleaned it up, kept an eye on it and ran the other AFM. Two months go by and guess what... Same oil/grime inside my turbocharger. I'm not burning oil at all.

I figured the turbo was getting too much oil so I bought a restrictor for it however I'm having the hardest time getting these threads to match up.

I wanted to post on here before I wasted more time trying to figure out a way to get this restrictor to fit with other fittings to see if that was sound logic.

Turbo gets too much oil - spews out of the front - coats AFM on idle - ruins AFM.

Possible? Or not very likely?

Or is it that the turbo is just bad.

Thanks guys!

-Nick-

XofXtimeX

Clean 2JZ
Feb 25, 2006
Arlington, TX
Update:

Installed the restrictor which had -4AN threads on one end and then inverted flare brake line thread on the other which was frustrating to narrow down lol. I also installed a different AFM. Car idled fine for warm up, AFRs normal. Then on test drive it started running pig rich once again and not having any power whatsoever.

It did throw a code and I have yet to check them this round. Will do that later on tonight.

Thanks!

-Nick-

Evilempire1.3JZ-GTE

SF what a waste of supras
Jun 22, 2006
SoCal
www.myspace.com
I know whats wrong actually several things could be wrong.
First off your PCV valve between your intake valve cover & your Plenum is bad or not in place or is even installed in your car backwards!

Because what happins is intake air passes through into your AFM which meters the air and tells your ECU this much air is entering the engine to burn.
The Turbo charger boost the air pressure then the high pressure air leaks the boost through where your PCV valve is supposed to block it from the intake pipe it then leaks your boost inside your engine which then starts to blow oil up the ring and into your combustion chamber and traps nasty gases inside your engine also it will start to blow every single seal in your engine valve cover cam seals crank seals etc...

Then since all the boost is leaking into your engine your car is running enough fuel to take what the president sensor sees the MAF sensor and calibrates your AFRs for the wrong ratio because the leak so your car will run pig rich especially under boost!

Then on top of all that your boost is pushing all the oil next to above the cams in the valves covers 10+PSI is pushing this mixture of shit into your exaust valve cover vent back into the intake into the turbo and into the maf sensor because 10PSI infront of your tubo mixed with all this crap will also get pushed towards your air filter then ruinging your maf sensor and coating it with oil!

If you continue to run your 2JZGTE like this it will blow up yes even bullet proof engine can be destroyed

Your lucky if all it cost you is two maf sensors for the price of one bad PVC.

So make sure to get a new one for about $20 make sure its in the right way and save yourself a car & engine.

Also your turbo seals will leak if you dont have a restrictor on the inlet of it and a good free flow to the oil pan on the return side.
Free flow like -10AN and its returned by gravity so make sure it runs down as much as possible and nothing back higher then streight across when going uphill etc.

ALSO the probelm is 99% PCV valve because if your turbo bearings leak it will all almost get 100% sucked into it not blow into the intake against the flow of air.