Turning turbo into a supercharger???

bluedragon17

87 NA-T baby!!!
Sep 14, 2006
Vacaville, CA
Hopefully I can get Doward to chip in here. I have been reading all kinds of things on supercharge this and that but what im wondering is could i possibly take a turbo and turn it inot a supercharger and what would it take?? flame suit on and fire extinguisher in place....................

thechori

supra-deprived
Oct 3, 2006
houston
i'm sure it's possible, but all the time/work/money to do such a thing isn't reasonable; it'd be easier to just fit an existing supercharger onto the 7M (at least i THINK...)

maybe someone with a little more knowledge will clean up my statement

iamshawn

codename: HENRO
Nov 2, 2005
Houston
replace the hotside with some pulley and run it in the front of the car.

main diff between turbo and super charger is turbo is exhaust driven and supercharger is belt driven.. so super charger has to be mounted in the front where all the belts are running. Turbo can be mounted anywhere as long as there is enough exhaust flow to spin it.

There is a supercharger kit made for the IS300 back in the days by area51 which uses the vortech V1 supercharger unit.

my maxima is running the V2 kit.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
You're talking about a centrifugal supercharger (Vortech type)

You'll need a step up gearbox and yes it will still suffer Lag like a turbo (not as bad but nothing like the response of a roots type blower)

Pretty much the worst of both worlds the only + I can see is they're usually easier to mount up.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Well you need some way of overdriving it at least 10:1, your pullies/belts could maybe do 2:1 so you'd need a step up box of at least 5:1 after the belt drive and some way to connect this to the Turbo Compressor section.

It would also need some sort of lubrication system and precision bearings and balance to cope with the 70,000 rpm shaft speeds.

All in all unless you have a very well equipped machine shop it's not going to happen.

bluedragon17

87 NA-T baby!!!
Sep 14, 2006
Vacaville, CA
ok sorry should have been more specific...........basically take the cold side of the turbo from a CT-26 find some way to seal it attach gears and a pulley to work where the ac compressor sits and bam your done sorta

grandfather has access to a full machine/fab shop where he works iJ and his boss owes me a favor or two so i dont think he would mind much

bluedragon17

87 NA-T baby!!!
Sep 14, 2006
Vacaville, CA
yeah sorry i was working on typignt hat while you posted it........think it could work fine??? or should i just skip all the head ache and go full turbo???

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
The bearings won't handle the stress of the belt tensioner, IIRC. The superchargers I've handled (ATI D series) have some ridiculously beefy bearings.