Turbonetics Tc76??

SupraSean

SPRASEAN MTHRFKR
Mar 3, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Anybody have any experience with this turbo? Turbonetics tc76 with a .96 a/r. I'm planning on using this on my 1jz but I keep hearing that it starts choking after like 16ish psi. Any insight would be great. Thanks.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
How much power are you looking for? That's a 76mm. Quite large and with a big housing is going to be pretty laggy.

A 62mm or 67mm would usually be better suited for a 1jz.

SupraSean

SPRASEAN MTHRFKR
Mar 3, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Well the whole deal is Ive been planning on buying an s366, but ive just been offered this tc76 for a stupid good price. The Reason i'm Rather iffy about this is that Everything i read says that due to the 76mm compressor, the 68mm exhaust wheel and an inefficient housing, they choke up around 15psi. Since i Plan on running much more than that, that wont work for me. So power goals are between 600-700, that will be with the 1000cc injectors and a set of cams/springs that i still need to decide on.

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
If it's a stupid good price, and it doesn't need a rebuild then get it. Try it, and post your findings about it. If you don't like it then sell it at a stupid good price to someone else, and recoup some of your money back.
But yeah, 76mm with a .96 hotside sounds like it'll be laggy. And if it's true that it does lose steam after 15psi then you'll be waiting for 15psi of inefficiency. You never know until you try it. It might surprise you and meet your goals.
What's a stupid good price, $150? Are you absolutely sure that this turbo is good, and doesn't need a rebuild?

Last edited:

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
If it's journal bearing might only be a little more expensive than the bw. So it's not like it's an expensive turbo in the first place as well

Radial

Aug 20, 2011
Norway
If you do some google with compressor maps, you'll be able to calculate how the compressor will behave on your engine.
I think you'll find the S366 to be a very efficient and suitable turbo for your 700hp goal.