turboing a 7mge with out using turbo electronic's

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
Many engines are run without intercoolers, but they were designed for it with lower compression and less aggressive timing maps. Instead of running no intercooler I'd just find a very small one to route basically on the piping.

That spells bad news for a turbo. You'll over heat fast. Ive got a stock intercooler and a 57 billet ct 26 and I'm getting heat soaked pretty badly on hot days. I'd suggest some type of intercooler and fan setup.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

MPR

John 3:16
Dec 17, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
If it's going in a bush truck, heat soak will be worse with less airflow. I'd rig up a small-ish intercooler with a fan, or a water-to-air intercooler.

With all the hot air, you're going to have to retard the timing so much it won't make much power. You may as well run it NA with a snorkel and get some cool fresh air in it.

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
Devin Hutchison;1827049 said:
That spells bad news for a turbo. You'll over heat fast. Ive got a stock intercooler and a 57 billet ct 26 and I'm getting heat soaked pretty badly on hot days. I'd suggest some type of intercooler and fan setup.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Lol @ stock intercooler with upgraded turbo. You obviously have very little understanding of how a turbo works. No, don't do any of that. Do it right or don't do it.

just busting your balls, dude..

Chrisco

Build in Progress
Jan 4, 2009
Downers Grove, IL
Could always switch to E85 or use methanol injection in lieu of no intercooler. I don't see why that would have an issue at only 5psi of boost. Then again it sounds like the engine you were going to use is no longer available anyway, so this is all a moot discussion. Until next time!

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
^ bingo

I was going to do this for under 500 including every thing (cheep)

stock 7mgte's can destory a rear ring and pion rather quickly if lead footed

the frist plan was to keep it na and see how it went any way

I still am on the hunt for ka24de that is the motor I really wana put in then mate it up with the w56

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
NashMan;1827325 said:
^ bingo

I was going to do this for under 500 including every thing (cheep)

stock 7mgte's can destory a rear ring and pion rather quickly if lead footed

the frist plan was to keep it na and see how it went any way

I still am on the hunt for ka24de that is the motor I really wana put in then mate it up with the w56

ka24de is so so so very underpowered.. You'd be better off to just put in another 22re.. They have no bottom end power, I've been in many many 240's with a bolt on ka that still has no low end balls.

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
all take your note on it but the ka has the power if I want low end torq gear will solve this

i even thought about a 13 b rotary but it may be lacking in torq for my needs maybe

MPR

John 3:16
Dec 17, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
On a bush truck/crawler, I would think a turbo would be nearly unusable. For those who have stock 7mgte's, at what rpm does it start to make useable boost? 3000+?

I have a stock NA 7mge and I love it's tractor like low-end instant torque. I would think it should be more than sufficient for an off-roader/crawler and be much more controllable power as well.

Just don't see the point, especially considering the application, imo.

mecevans

Supramania Contributor
Jan 18, 2009
M-bay, cali
MPR;1827997 said:
On a bush truck/crawler, I would think a turbo would be nearly unusable. For those who have stock 7mgte's, at what rpm does it start to make useable boost? 3000+?

I have a stock NA 7mge and I love it's tractor like low-end instant torque. I would think it should be more than sufficient for an off-roader/crawler and be much more controllable power as well.

It would have been an NA-T.

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
MPR;1827997 said:

the turbo would be used when on the logging trails getting to locations long hils ect winding out a 22re at like 3800 to 4100 is not really fuel saver going up hills is not to much fun nore smart some times hard on the motor

you would be shocked on how fast a ct26 spools with no inter cooler

mix this with a 7mge with turbo slapped on it it should be fun times

oh ya around these part we gon't crawl much it more of a pin pong off trees maken your way with the skinney pedal some times

suprunner

Jun 22, 2011
south dakota
I have a N/A 7MGE in my 4Runner. It does have lots of low-end torque that I enjoy. Plenty compared to a 22RE. 33" tires and 4.56 gears. My friend has a 7MGTE in his, and he has destroyed gears just by letting off the clutch. I had some difficulty in Moab a few weeks ago with it getting a little too hot... A lot of low rpm crawling. Maybe my fans aren't running at a high enough cfm? I believe my friend's 4Runner bas a full intercooler setup...

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
depends were his fans are, if it in the back he may be lacking air flow to the fans ?

that were I plan to put my rad sooner or later