Turbo to intercooler pipe, help please!

jons87mk3

Jun 29, 2014
HI
First off, thanks for taking the time to at my post. I have an 87 MK3 that I put a different turbo on. This turbo has a compressor housing that has an 2 1/2" outlet to the intercooler. The original hose is a 2" that will not fit and is in bad condition anyways. I rigged up an adapter with what I have available (Stationed in Hawaii, so not to many resources out here for such a thing). The turo keeps blowing it off since it's a sized down connection. I have looked on Ebay and a lot of other sites but cant find the right pipe with adapters to fit. Any ideas would be appreciated!

jons87mk3

Jun 29, 2014
HI
The stock one is just a rubber hose. I did rig up an adapter, but since the compressor housing is bigger than the hose, the out side edge of the hose is in the air stream and provides a surface for the air to push the hose right off. I would like to get a pipe made. I have seen full kits for $200 plus, however I just need the one from the turbo to the intercooler. Plus, the kits are made for stock turbos.

7M4EVR

Oct 8, 2012
fah, fah away
For under $20 pick up a 2.5-2 inch reducer coupler, and a few clamps. You will also need a small piece of 2" hardpipe to couple the rubber reducer to the factory rubber pipe. You may need to cut the factory rubber pipe to the intercooler down a bit to get the hardpipe in-between it and the reducer coupler. If you do, cut it straight and smooth, and clean the rubber shavings out of it before you install it again. Sometimes when we mix and match turbos, intercoolers, piping, etc, we have to get creative. I've spent numerous hours piecing together piping with whatever I had laying around. As long as you have no boost leaks life is good. Eventually try to plan a turbo/intercooler set up that you hope lasts a while and then have some nice custom piping mocked up and welded.

reducer.JPG

jons87mk3

Jun 29, 2014
HI
7M4EVR;2015821 said:
For under $20 pick up a 2.5-2 inch reducer coupler, and a few clamps. You will also need a small piece of 2" hardpipe to couple the rubber reducer to the factory rubber pipe. You may need to cut the factory rubber pipe to the intercooler down a bit to get the hardpipe in-between it and the reducer coupler. If you do, cut it straight and smooth, and clean the rubber shavings out of it before you install it again. Sometimes when we mix and match turbos, intercoolers, piping, etc, we have to get creative. I've spent numerous hours piecing together piping with whatever I had laying around. As long as you have no boost leaks life is good. Eventually try to plan a turbo/intercooler set up that you hope lasts a while and then have some nice custom piping mocked up and welded.

View attachment 73612

Thanks for the advice. I ordered some things to piece something together from www.siliconeintakes.com. Since my old hose is garbage, I had to order enough to cover the length of the old hose. Here is what I ordered incase someone else ever has the same issues:

1 x Silicone Reducer, 45° bend - 2.5" to 2.0" - Black (BRE000905)
1 x 2.5" Silicone Straight Coupler, Black (SIL000615)
2 x Stainless Steel Joiner, 2.5" (JOI000112)
1 x 2.5" Silicone 90° Elbow, Black (SIL000033)

I will post the result when I get everything and piece it together.