turbo spools and reads +boost but car dosent pull

jessemkiiis

Sep 28, 2009
Childersburg AL,
I drove my car to my new appartment today,
everything was fine untill I got into a little boost.
I could feel the car pep up(right before + boost)
then it felt like the clutch was slipping. I could hear the turbo rapidly spool and the boost gague snapped into the + but the car wasnt pulling hard.

As far I know the clutch is very new(previous owner) and the car will spin the tires from a stop.
So that leads me to think boost leak or wastegate actuator?
The turbo was compleatly rebuilt with slightly upgraded parts for higher boost.
I have checked all my Ic piping in the past for previous issues and there wasnt anything out of the ordinary.
The gague says im making plenty of boost but it dosent feel like its making it to the engine.

Anybody had this problem or one similar?:1zhelp:

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
Check codes and what's your wideband (if you have one) read? A knock code will retard timing and will cause similar issues.

Guess you didn't hit fuel cut..

On my car I hit 8 psi with a boost leak but it didn't pull hardly at all...my n/a could have beat it.

MKIIISupraGuy

Sep 14, 2009
Lousy-ana
this makes me want to compare my car , to yours. Does'nt feel like 8psi of extra momentum to me. On the flip side, I can get the ass end to step out effortlessly before it hits boost....weird, it's like the boost is more of a small dose of NOS. I make lots of noise though with the DDP lmao. My car might be fine, we should line them up at the track and see what unfolds. we need a 3rd person though who knows there car is dialed in, so we can find out if both are cars are screwed up.

jessemkiiis

Sep 28, 2009
Childersburg AL,
definatly didnt hit fuelcut (no sudden jerking)
I dont have a wideband yet but I know the cars running a little fat.

I havnt really pushed it,but one time I wasnt paying attention and the stock boost gague slapped 8lbs QUICK. Its starting to sound like a boost leak but at the same time I dont know?

jessemkiiis

Sep 28, 2009
Childersburg AL,
MKIIISupraGuy;1444875 said:
this makes me want to compare my car , to yours. Does'nt feel like 8psi of extra momentum to me. On the flip side, I can get the ass end to step out effortlessly before it hits boost....weird, it's like the boost is more of a small dose of NOS. I make lots of noise though with the DDP lmao. My car might be fine, we should line them up at the track and see what unfolds. we need a 3rd person though who knows there car is dialed in, so we can find out if both are cars are screwed up.

I cant have that 3rd person witness you outrunning me....:3d_frown:
Sadly im sure my car is screwed up,probably something small but screwed up none the less.
I think you should shed some lbs by givin me that lonely foglight:evil2:

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
Well I'd do a long 4th gear pull too redline and see if it fuel cuts myself....or do a boost leak test.

You should smell and see unburnt fuel in your rear view if you have a boost leak as it will run stupidly rich!

But seriously check codes.

89supra7mgte

Sep 20, 2009
colorado
I am gonna do a leak test on mine tomorrow or this weekend. I am sure i have one, just did a head gasket so who knows, runs good other than not hitting full boost....not to mention the turbo is ready to give out.

jessemkiiis

Sep 28, 2009
Childersburg AL,
Ill have to do a boost leak test, im sure Hoover PD would catch me....
And it definatly falls in the stupidly rich catagory.....
Ill check my codes tomarrow after work

sparkplug619

2 Supras, 1 Paycheck =[
Sep 28, 2008
San Diego California
gaboonviper85;1444854 said:
Check codes and what's your wideband (if you have one) read? A knock code will retard timing and will cause similar issues.

Guess you didn't hit fuel cut..

On my car I hit 8 psi with a boost leak but it didn't pull hardly at all...my n/a could have beat it.

thanks gaboonviper, I found this helpful! My car has the exact problem as the op, I hit boost and my car seems like its going up a hill at wide open throttle, VERY loud, NO power, boosting perfectly to 8 psi on the (stock) gauge

I have no leaks whatsoever, ic piping good, wastegate good, but a code 52, so based on your info this could be my culprit!

Once again thanks gaboonviper

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
Check you timing.
Mine was doing the same thing, timing was at 8*btdc. Jumper TE1 and E1 and see where you're at with a timing light.

sethron71

Authorized Vendor
Jul 19, 2005
Las Vegas, NV
www.SethIngham.com
giterboosted;1446091 said:
I don't understand why you jumper the two pins to check timing, something I don't know?

Electronic advance! The ECU controls timing, jumping the pins locks the timing so it can be set. Check timing with out the pins jumped and you will see as your idle bounces a bit the timing will jump. So the jumper makes the timing static, or takes out the ecu advances.

As for the OP if you are pig rich under boost I would vote boost leak. The cars runs awesome up to boost because it is pulling unmetered air in via vacuum thus leaning the car a bit and making it pull very strong, then once you hit boost, reverse, metered air is now escaping out the leak and you go pig rich from losing that metered air! Also fix the codes, very easily done and will save you a lot of head ache before you tear into anything.

HTH,
Seth

jessemkiiis

Sep 28, 2009
Childersburg AL,
ok guys thanks for all the input,
I guess im goin to take a day off work so i can play with it.
sounds like a definate boost leak and or timing issue.
My codes as of now are 52 and 41.
I know a bad knock sensor will retard timing, and my TPS was shot.
I have replaced the TPS but have not reset my codes.
Next big purchase will be an intercooler kit, maybe that will eliminate most of my problems. unfortunatly those arent cheap. so Im going to recheck my codes, rewire/replace knock sensors, and properly set my timing.
will post new info when avalible.

sparkplug619

2 Supras, 1 Paycheck =[
Sep 28, 2008
San Diego California
jessemkiiis;1446307 said:
ok guys thanks for all the input,
I guess im goin to take a day off work so i can play with it.
sounds like a definate boost leak and or timing issue.
My codes as of now are 52 and 41.
I know a bad knock sensor will retard timing, and my TPS was shot.
I have replaced the TPS but have not reset my codes.
Next big purchase will be an intercooler kit, maybe that will eliminate most of my problems. unfortunatly those arent cheap. so Im going to recheck my codes, rewire/replace knock sensors, and properly set my timing.
will post new info when avalible.

You can get an intercooler off ebay, for $150-250.

DBN

FML
Jan 22, 2009
Fairfield, Ca
Code 52 would cause this problem. Look into why the code is coming up. Check to make sure your knock sensors are alright and the wiring also. If you need a rewire then I advise you to pm Shaeff.

jessemkiiis

Sep 28, 2009
Childersburg AL,
Im getting the CXRacing full intercooler kit with hardpipe, for $350 shipped
just gotta pay my bills first.
So i went out and checked my codes again, all i have is the code 52....

Last edited:

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Hey Jessie. I still haven't checked the switch on my parts car yet. I'll get back to you once I do.

Code 52 can be a bitch to get rid of sometimes. My wife's car has had it off and on since we got the car. I got rid of it for a while, but it may have came back today. I haven't checked the codes yet, but I have one. The rewire kit Shaeff sells is about sixty five dollars and it fixes the problem most of the time. Other times it's something else causing it like bad knock sensors, or bad grounds.

Let me know if I can help you out.

jessemkiiis

Sep 28, 2009
Childersburg AL,
im pretty sure my timing is off to begin with, on top of that the code 52.
I've been trying to get my friends timing light so I can start the process.
1: set timing
2: rewire knock sensor
3: replace knock sensors
Ive seen the write up on the rewire, I already got the harnesses all I need is the coax cable.

thanks in advance jay
what year was your parts car?