turbo question

tyang82

May 12, 2011
Milwaukee
ok so now im here, SF isnt helping out with my question. my question is, my turbo isnt boosting 8 pounds anymore, only 4 or 5. i checked for loose hoses and no loose hoses. turbo doesnt sound as loud in first gear anymore like when it first does. second and third gear it starts to spool but only to 4 pounds. can it be signs for a new turbo? o yeah, its all stock

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
If you're concerned that it's on the way out pull off the accordion hose and see if you've got shaft play. The wheel on my turbo was starting to hit the housing on mine and I was still hitting 11 - 12 psi no problem though.

Does the car burn oil? Do you have evidence of oil going out the tailpipe under boost or anything?

I'd still double (triple, even quadruple) check all the piping and vacuum lines. 99% of the time that's all it is. Here's a little video that shows how to make your own home built boost leak test tool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atretf9u-Mc

tyang82

May 12, 2011
Milwaukee
o i forgot to mention, i took off my cat and put the test pipe on, still the same thing. the compressor wheel spins freely after taking off the accordion hose. i need a oil catch line cause i can see little oil in the turbo when i took off the accordion hose. no idea whats wrong, when i left work i was reving and burned out on a fellow co worker with a civic, showing him that supras are not little boy toys. after that a couple days later, the turbo wasnt the same.

shipkiller

Sep 16, 2010
Quebec
did the turbo shaft had play? lateral and radial, if you could feel some with your fingers then yes it's shot, but the impellers on my ct-26 are rubbing agaisn't the housing and I'm boosting 10psi daily without problem.
boost leak (most of the time this is why)

tyang82

May 12, 2011
Milwaukee
shipkiller;1720762 said:
did the turbo shaft had play? lateral and radial, if you could feel some with your fingers then yes it's shot, but the impellers on my ct-26 are rubbing agaisn't the housing and I'm boosting 10psi daily without problem.
boost leak (most of the time this is why)

it spins both ways, what do i feel for? the only thing i feel is the compressor wheel. it spins freely

tyang82

May 12, 2011
Milwaukee
89Slowpra;1720915 said:
He means does it wobble around. Try moving it up and down or side to side

no it doesnt wobble around. ill double, triple and even quadruple check for loose hoses.

---------- Post added at 12:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:38 AM ----------

radiod;1720699 said:
If you're concerned that it's on the way out pull off the accordion hose and see if you've got shaft play. The wheel on my turbo was starting to hit the housing on mine and I was still hitting 11 - 12 psi no problem though.

Does the car burn oil? Do you have evidence of oil going out the tailpipe under boost or anything?

I'd still double (triple, even quadruple) check all the piping and vacuum lines. 99% of the time that's all it is. Here's a little video that shows how to make your own home built boost leak test tool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atretf9u-Mc

thanks, ill try that out

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Check the hose that goes from the compressor housing to the waste gate. Its a small one and takes a lot of heat.

Its that hose, the wastegate, the wastegate hole if it has big enough cracks, or a boost leak that is going to not let you boost what you should.

tyang82

May 12, 2011
Milwaukee
hvyman;1720938 said:
Check the hose that goes from the compressor housing to the waste gate. Its a small one and takes a lot of heat.

Its that hose, the wastegate, the wastegate hole if it has big enough cracks, or a boost leak that is going to not let you boost what you should.

man, thanks alot. very helpful. now i can sleep without worrying too much about my baby. but i still worry cause the problem isnt fixed yet. its only got 120k original miles.

tyang82

May 12, 2011
Milwaukee
ok, i checked and replaced all the clamps to all hoses and still nothing. is it normal to see exhaust smoke coming out of the dump pipe? i have a 3 inch exhaust from the turbo down, it has like an extra pipe coming from under the 3 inch pipe. i drove and pushed my car hard and still the same results, low boost and the car would shut off when i the rpm comes back way down under 1000 rpm.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Could be a failed bypass valve, too... although with that, it should still boost to the normal levels, it just takes longer to get there.

A few other things... how do you know how much it's boosting? Are you using the stock gauge? Clearly the exhaust isn't stock... what about the intercooler piping?

fasttrac64

Jun 2, 2011
Tennessee
most of time you have a vac leak or a charge air leak did you ck your hoses in the right side fender well under splash guard if stock piping ck plastic pipes also ck cooler for cracks small cracks, will make huge impact on boost levels

tyang82

May 12, 2011
Milwaukee
GrimJack;1721176 said:
Could be a failed bypass valve, too... although with that, it should still boost to the normal levels, it just takes longer to get there.

A few other things... how do you know how much it's boosting? Are you using the stock gauge? Clearly the exhaust isn't stock... what about the intercooler piping?

i bought the car and it came with a 3 inch turbo back all the way through, no resonator or muffler. everything is still stock

---------- Post added at 11:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:03 PM ----------

i changed the clamps on most hoses, and tighten down the rest, i noticed its only boosting to 0 instead of 4 now. i can feel the trubo is losing power. over the weekend on the freeway when i was accelrating, i hear the waste gate open sounding louder then normal, then it cut off. after that the power isnt the same anymore. Im sad now. i just bought the car about 2 weeks ago. 91 targa with only 122k miles. :(

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Need to inspect the wastegate, it's hose, and the hole. Can't guess. Must inspect. Inspect. Inspect. Inspect.

tyang82

May 12, 2011
Milwaukee
hvyman;1721384 said:
Need to inspect the wastegate, it's hose, and the hole. Can't guess. Must inspect. Inspect. Inspect. Inspect.

yea, ill have to check the waste gate tomorrow. thats the last thing ill have to do. what are bad signs of a bad waste gate, can it be replaced, or is it best to get a new turbo if the waste gate is bad? hose are good, i think. i took off the hose from the waste gate to the turbo housing, plugged one end and used the air compressor to put little pressure air in it, hose is good.