turbo on a 7mge?

89mk3 =)

Apr 12, 2010
north hills
so ive got an 89 supra na 5speed.. love the car! wish it was a turbo tho.. but i was wondering if it would b a good idea or possible to turbo this motor witout swapping it for the gte? im sure it would b better to just do the swap but id just like to know the possibilities for something like this.

6g72T-LUV

May 14, 2010
ILL
I would suggest you do a little searching before asking easy to answer questions such as that, Yes its possible. Search Please.

89mk3 =)

Apr 12, 2010
north hills
well yeh thats what ive been doing. but ive read that it wouldnt b a good idea to go over 7psi? because of the compression difference on the 7mge and the 7mgte? i'd just like to b up in the 300hp ranges atleast.. nowaday cars are bein built at that much stock!! =(

turbotom88

Supra or nothing!!!
Dec 25, 2009
up state N.Y
that is every thing you have to do to make it run with a turbo... you cant just slap a turbo on an n/a.. and make it run... the electronics ie: ignition system, maf, tps, iac, ect... are all very different, not to mention the fuel pump and fuel injectors and comp ratio so in short there is no easy way to do it... just buy a gte and be done with it or all you will get outa your ge is kaboom...... lol

Last edited:

A. Jay

Search.
Jun 3, 2009
Bay Area, CA
Do you know how cheap it would've been for Toyota to make the n/a and turbo mkiii's with the only difference being the turbo? With a difference of only 32bhp/68ftlbs? And you want 300? Do it right, do it once.

Edit:
If you took your 7mge related question to the 7M-GE Engine Technical Discussion section, you would've seen the Non Turbo to Turbo (NA-T) FAQ sticky, where you would've seen this:

viper92086 said:
i'm going to shed some light on my na-t experience....

1. it is only worth na-t IF you have a low mileage motor (not that JDM crap) and you know its in GREAT condition OR if you just dont care and dont mind blowing the motor.
(...)

... followed by how to do an NA-T. It's been two decades since your car came out, you're not the first to think of this.

Last edited: