Turbo Carnage! / Upgrade Discussion

theKnifeArtist

Fire on High!
Apr 6, 2006
North Jersey
So i warmed up the car for five minutes before pulling onto the highway.
1st gear, moderate throttle, ok, shift.
2nd gear, giving little more than half throttle, probably around 9psi. i hear a faint whine as the turbo spools up.
BOOM.

(57 trim upgraded CT26)
p1560541_1.jpg

p1560541_2.jpg

p1560541_3.jpg

p1560541_4.jpg

p1560541_5.jpg

After it blew up, i coasted the to side of the road with a little bit of a rough idle.
I shut it off once i opened the hood and found the problem.
It did start again after that, so im feeling good about the engine being okay.

Im gonna clean out the IC piping and i'll be putting on an extra stock turbo on there for now just to drive it.

So what happened ?
Imbalance?
Oil pressure loss?

So, this calls for an upgrade..

What i got:
Built 7M
HKS MHG
6 puck
walbro pump
RX7 turbo injectors 550cc (flowed even at much more)
fuel pressure regulator
electronic boost controller
super afc
innovate wideband
3" Recirc DDP (guess it's gotta go) , E-cutout, Raptor Catback

It looks like ill have to get a whole new manifold, new downpipe setup, and an external wastegate if im gonna upgrade from this turbo.
What kind of power am i good for with a turbo upgraded making good use of my resources?
What am i looking at for around 450whp?

I need some direction in the kind of turbos i should be picking from.

Any info or really helpful links are really appreciated :)

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
WTF........ Thats a big boom for a ct lol.

Was the oil feed line clear?

At least you got nice wall ornament now lol.

89supra7mgte

Sep 20, 2009
colorado
Look into the driftmotion 60-1 kit for the 7m, 1600 includes tubo, nice new tubed exhaust mani, v-band style downpipe, gaskets, and new oil lines. I have also read that an upgrade 7m i/c doesnt need much fab to mate up. Think all you do is shorten your charge pipe towards i/c and install a 45* off turbo. Might be worth looking into.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
The dm kit aint bad. Id run it. Not my first choice if i had money to burn but id run it.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Which is a ssac mani which a lot of people use and have had success with. Its not like there is a mass produced t4 custom mani that is under 500. Any custom exhaust mani for the 7m is well over 1k.

Ive been to dm and while was there they happened to be modifying a exhaust mani and they check all the welds and take out and slag left over.

Do tell me(not being dick in any way) but which exhaust mani would you buy? How much is it? And how many people run them? For the 7m.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
nick88;1560574 said:
Stock, I would buy a bolt on turbo for the 7m.

so basically you want to limit your self to 600 hp ok but knocking something that has proven it self and has been "IJ" tested s just wrong and i for one hate knock offs. But i would run a ssac mani becuase it has proven itself and no one out there will make a mani that will do the same for less thean 1k.

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
If I could do it all again (and afford it) I'd run a bolt on the stock manifold. A remember one of our members pushing a little over 550rwhp on the stock manifold. We weren't sure if the stock manifold was the limiting factor of making more power, but he did get good power of the stock mani.

paradox616

Sep 12, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
That's Nasty!!! From what i can tell you snapped the shaft which put the hole in the casting, did you get bad compression surge / run a better BOV?

I'm running the above mentioned "bolt on" T61, needs new oil lines but everything bolts up nicely.

PM me if you want any more info.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Stock mani does nicely to 600hp its just no one usually wants to keep it. Toyota/Yamaha did a very very great job designing these engines.

I6Boost

Apr 14, 2010
My Supra
Who did the rebuild on the turbo? Driftmotion?

I got a upgraded 57trim from driftmotion so i hope mine doesn't
do this lol... Got me kinda scared.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
My buddy just got a 57trim from dm and the thing looks awesome and i doubt dm is going to sell prducts that are going to come back.

Your going to be ok, just make sure you crank the engine with the efi fuse out and see oil pressure to make sure the turbo has been primed right.

89supra7mgte

Sep 20, 2009
colorado
I dont believe with rep DM has that they would allow garbage on the shelf. And also believe they put their products through testing as to see how they will hold up. they take care of us out here. by piecing it all together you are gonna be in deep with fab and expenses