Turbo blanket/ heatshield question...

winsauce

they call me cotton jr
Sep 17, 2010
Dayton, OH
looking to replace the factory heatsheild with something that will better insulate the engine form radiant heat on the exhaust side of the engine. my bic dp is already wraped with header tape and soaked with 2000* VHT ceramic paint. looking at jegs.com and found this blanket and also this on google and another source and lastly the baller titan version. are these all good ideas? or will it spike the internal temps on the exhaust and damage the turbo by baking the oil in the turbo instead of letting it radiate heat through the engine bay? i also plan on wraping the stock manifold and coating it just like the downpipe.

p1681578_1.jpg

heres a pic of the turbo 67mm boss lip by ITS, .81ar hotside looking @ consistantly running over 20lbs on the street with some track time. i dont yet have an upgraded oil cooler setup yet, but i have considered it in the not so distant future...

basicly, looking for someone with prev exp with this sort of mod... what power gains did you see? temp drops ect...

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Wrapping the stock manifold is generally not seen as a good idea. Plus, because of it's shape it's hard to wrap the entire thing effectively. You're better off ceramic coating it and ceramic coating the shields as well. I notice you're missing the front heatshield on the manifold as well. If you like your CPS you'll put it back on ;) Can also ceramic coat the turbo hotside and modify and coat the factor heatshield (have to mod because of DDP and the softlines).

You can get a turbo blanket for the CT-26 hotside, don't remember who makes it though. Still recommend ceramic coating though (you can run both)

winsauce

they call me cotton jr
Sep 17, 2010
Dayton, OH
Poodles;1681585 said:
Wrapping the stock manifold is generally not seen as a good idea. Plus, because of it's shape it's hard to wrap the entire thing effectively. You're better off ceramic coating it and ceramic coating the shields as well. I notice you're missing the front heatshield on the manifold as well. If you like your CPS you'll put it back on ;) Can also ceramic coat the turbo hotside and modify and coat the factor heatshield (have to mod because of DDP and the softlines).

You can get a turbo blanket for the CT-26 hotside, don't remember who makes it though. Still recommend ceramic coating though (you can run both)

why yes, i do like my cps... had bearings and seals replaced about 100miles ago...
compressor housing does not fit with manifold heatshield. i forgive you for overlooking turbo stats but this in not a ct26. i'll was thinking about a turbo flange spacer of some sort possibly half inch to get a lil more clearence for the heatshield.

why is it not a good idea to wrap the mani itself? seen heat wrap that was 1in wide, vs the standard header wrap thats 2in wide... does it basicly overheat the casting, or is it frowned upon due to potential oil soaking that may happen? ive taken that into consideration already on the dp, saturate the fabric with 3 cans of vht, no chance of oil soaking that way...

incase it matters the stock manifold has been ported and flows much better than the average casting.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Yeah, I saw it's a bolt on style turbo, still a CT26 style hotside, same dimensions IIRC, even has provisions for all the supports. The couple of stock manifolds I've seen that are wrapped didn't cover a whole lot, I think you'd be better off with the ceramic coating (can do inside as well). Can always do all of it (ceramic coating, wrapping, heatshields) for some overkill. Hell, IJ did it :rofl:

Reason I asked if you liked your CPS is when I bought my car it was missing the front heatshield. Had to pull the engine and all the wiring and connectors in that area crumbled in my hands. Sensors inside the CPS were cracked from the heat, etc. Ended up buying a brand new CPS and harness because of all the damage.