turbo bad??????

ma70turbo

May 15, 2007
sacramento
i have a problem i think its my turbo , when i drive normally (not boosting) its ok but once i the car start boosting it makes a funny noise, but when car is still cold it makes that noise whenever i drive it but when the car warms up then it only makes that funny noise when boosting, do you guys agree that its a bad turbo.

str8_6

master yuepeng
Mar 14, 2007
wa
where is the noise coming from? do you have to be on the throttle to hear it? or can you hear it at idle when cold too?

ma70turbo

May 15, 2007
sacramento
str8_6;916904 said:
where is the noise coming from? do you have to be on the throttle to hear it? or can you hear it at idle when cold too?

yea i have to be on the throttle to hear it, you only hear it when your on the throttle, idles fine.

AllStreet

Banned
Feb 3, 2008
Michigan
You don't have to drive the car, warm it up, and sit there at about 5000 Rpms, then take a " Long " screw driver put it on the hot side of the turbo and listen while someone gives the car gas, also, you can take the down pipe off the car feel the " hot sides " wheel, you can also do the same with the compressor side, may be easier that way. If the turbo is bad at vacuum the turbo may spin decently.... but at open throttle it is not " balanced" correctly which in your result, you may have a Grinding, or a high pitch metallic noise.

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
check for smoke but really there is too little information to determine if its bad or not..

honestly i can only assume what you describe is normal, could even be the sound of your turbo spooling that can be enhanced by an open filter~ or even the sound of the bypass valve heh

ma70turbo

May 15, 2007
sacramento
its a grinding noise, only makes that noise when the car is boosting other than that sounds normal, compared to the way the car use to sound when under boost this noise sounds bad and loud, started doing this about a 3 days ago. i think its the turbo.

bowsercake

Aug 24, 2005
Irvine, Ca
If the shaft moves side to side a little, that is fine. But if it moves in and out then you have problems and are looking at a rebuild. Mine moves in and out a few mm when it was broken, so its not much.

illegal88

Banned
Sep 26, 2005
Rockford, MI
This sound like the girl at the counter the other day with the "clink, clink, whoosh, whoosh, zwing, zwing" sound effects while explaning the problem to the mechanic! P.S. you could see the look of amazement in the mechanics eyes! Anyhow, take a 1/2", 3/8",1/4" extension, the longer the better, place one end on the turbo. It doesent matter where if you can hear the sound in the car you will definaly hear it thrue the ext. place your right or left hand in a cupping fashion over the other end with the open end of your "cup" to your ear. now have someone else in the car randomly excelerate and decelerate the motor if it is the turbo you will hear in thru the extension. Now, if it isnt the turbo you can repeat this process over the entire motor untill you narrow the area of the sound generation. once you narrow it down then start asking the questions needed to trouble shoot your "grinding" sound.. I hope this helps. !!!!!!! do not place the extension on any moving parts!!!!!!

illegal88

Banned
Sep 26, 2005
Rockford, MI
try this start the car cold. push your clutch pedal in and out several times. does the noise change/ if so then it is your throw out bearing.. let me know. if i is your turbo you should hear the noise no matter what.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
read my lips...

exhaust leak

Extremely common on these engines as the manifold studs strip in the head. Look for soot deposits around the manifold to head and manifold to turbo...

ATL88Supra

The Asshole
Jun 22, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
when you are driveing is the sound comein from the front middle or back of the car.. check the shaft play on the turbo, i check mine every week just for peace of mind its not hard to do takes less then 10 mins to do!

-Maniac-

They call me Nate.
Aug 25, 2005
Birmingham, AL
You said that it makes the noise when the car is cold. But then once you're warmed up, it only makes the noise when boosting. It could be oil pressure related. Perhaps the turbo is, in fact, experiencing problems. But once you get good oil pressure going through the turbo, it quiets down.
I agree with the other guys. Get the car warm, then rev the engine while listening with a tube or rod against your ear. It's easier to get boost pressure while the engine is under load, so it could very well be the turbo shaft grinding.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
*sigh*

Exhaust leak, it will do it while cold until it's warmed up enough to seal to stop it, then under boost when the backpressure is highest.

Been there, done that, TWICE.