tuning a safc-II

walkerstoke68

Mar 3, 2006
stillwater, ok
dbsupra90 said:
ive tuned quite a bit w/ it. what problem are you having?
well i was under the impression that by using an afc i could eliminate the backfiring between shifts,and the rough running at idle. I havent been able to elimate either of these. I m sure that it is hooked up right, and all functions are reading properly. I can adjust settings but dont really feel or see any results. i guess i need a base line of where to start with the whole thing.

moorman

Not a Lurker, Voyeuristic
May 17, 2005
San Diego, CA
members.provalue.net
Brent is right, you can't eliminate backfiring w/ safc. Beyond that, you should not blindly adjust the afc, you need to utilize a wideband oxygen sensor, and your tuning should only apply to the high throttle settings. I don't recall Stillwater having any dynos nearby, so you'll most likely have to hit Tulsa or OKC. You WILL damage your engine w/ settings that cause you to be too lean, and you can't tell you're too lean w/o a wideband O2. (IOW, don't fiddle with it unless you can see your results)

Assuming you're running stock or lex AFM, you shouldn't adjust low throttle/idle settings via afc at all. If you have a stumble at idle, you're looking at a problem that needs to be fixed BEFORE you start tuning.

...on an unrelated note, do the domestic guys still gather at the car wash by Hall of Fame & Main?