Tuning a 1.5jz with a S-AFC. What would be a good base tune?

SilverMk3

Sep 4, 2009
Georgia
Ok I have finished my swap of a 1.5jz into my supra. I have the stock 1jz ecu that I ran when I had the 1jz in it. It also has a Apexi safc II for tuning in which the 1jz that I had before was tuned with. Now I have the 1.5jz and I have stock mk4 550cc injectors. What would be a good base tune as far low throttle and high throttle? If someone has this setup I would like to know what percentages you are running at the different rpms for high and low.

I know that I have more displacement, now that I have went to a 3 liter, however I have also upgraded the injector size as well. I do not have a wideband as of right now, however that is my next purchase. I am just looking for a driveable base tune. The car actually drives right now and it runs just ok. It almost seems as there may be a very slight miss. This could be because of the fuel curve being to lean or to much, or it could be a fouled spark plug. I will says this that it smells like the car is running rich. I have played around with the afc a little, but it hasn't changed anything a whole lot. Please Help.

Nippon-teku

Aug 9, 2009
Hollywood, FL
JPsToyota;1562327 said:
The only solution here is to get a wideband on the car, even if you have to borrow it. You have no idea what the AFRs look like without one.

That's true...but it would be better for him to go with a piggy back or better yet a standalone. You wouldn't get the true potential of the engine with one and a better tuning band range.

Gritz

Aug 1, 2008
nc
He's asking for a base tune...sure the best bet is always standalone but everyone doesn't have $1,200+ laying around...He has a safc II and 550cc injectors, my guess is he could go a year or so with a pretty quick car(400whp) and save for a Standalone... I agree get a wideband and FPR and tune the damn thing.. every car is different..

OneJArpus

Supramania Contributor
Jul 1, 2005
Newark, New Jersey, United States
I've got a similar setup but i have AFPR & LC-1 wideband i got brand new, look in the forsale thread you can come across used wide bands or try out our vendor, he has AEM Eugo's for 184 shipped or lc-1 for 199 shipped no gauge.

Get a wideband or borrow one before you start tampering with the SAFC. Every car is different and every state is different. Temps altitude etc all play a factor. I would not drive around not knowing my AF ratio as you could cause serious damage.